Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2004, 07:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

When were rectangular colour TV sets first on the market?

Hi all. I have a question. When were rectangular colour TV sets first put on the market?????

I know experimental rectangular colour TVs were made in the 50s, but the majority of the rectangular sets I've seen in old ads on Ebay and National Geographic mags don't date any earlier than 1965 though I've seen a couple from the early 60s that's if the dates are correct.

Also wondering was the reason why colour sets were round til the mid 60s was because the dynamic convergence had to be developed/corrected? I've learnt in my TV course that there is static convergence and dynamic convergence which static is takes up most of the area of the TV in a circular form and the dynamic is around near the corners of the screen.

Cheers
Troy
Old 05-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Late 1965, wasn't it?
Old 05-22-2004, 03:12 PM
heathkit tv

I suspect that early sets had round tubes for perhaps the convergence reasons you mentioned, but it also may have originally due to ease of manufacture (or cost as well).

Another thing to consider is that a rectangular set has more viewing area so that could be a marketing consideration too.
Anthony
Old 05-22-2004, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would have to agree on 1965 as well, and am pretty sure Motorola was the first with everyone else following pretty close behind.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Motorola did lead the rectangular parade with the TS-908 chassis in 1964. It used a 23EGP22 picture tube. Once the engineering bugs were worked out as far as convergence and pin cushioning effect, the rec.tubes were a big hit. bigger screens with better aspect ratio and less depth on the cabinets. Also a better choice of screen sizes, 19-23-25" ect. ment that color sets could be used in rooms other then the living room. This at the very time the networks were expending their color schedules.

Last edited by Steve D.; 05-22-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-22-2004, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Don't forget the Westinghouse 22 inch set of 1957 using the 22EP22!

Steve
Old 05-22-2004, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

glass issues

One of the primary reasons for circular CRTs is that form is structurally stronger and easier to create. I imagine for early colour CRTs this was an issue

The Germans developed rectangular screens in the 1930s. I think Telefunken was the first. They were to be used in the German sets due for release in 1940. But WWII got in the way.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Absolutely correct Steve.
But, while being technically first, the Westinghouse color set was a marketing failure. I also believe that Westinghouse and Hytron who developed the tube never solved the convergence and other circuit problems. Never the less, I would give my eye teeth (what are eye teeth?) to have one of those 22" sets.

Last edited by Steve D.; 05-22-2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, Steve, your response regarding the 1964 Motorolas is the answer that I believe Troy was looking for. I just had to throw in the Westinghouse set. Your eye teeth are your canines. With today's marvels of dentisty they would be a small price to pay for one of those TVs!
Old 05-22-2004, 11:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another failure

Then there is the Philco "Apple" project from the early 50's, with a tube design that goes back to the 40's. Their attempt at a rectangular tube with phosphor stripes using a secondary reflective "indexing" signal to plot the beam across the face to regulate beam emission.

I came across a mountain of their research documents that Chuck A is posting on his web site as he can scan them. Some of the documents are now available for .pdf viewing at this time. More to come.

It appears that they built about 12 sets...all gone now...and many attempts at the tube itself. Failures galore. Some of the schematics and documents acknowledge their copying of the CTC7 for most of the circuits with mods for the indexing system where needed.

One of the posted documents casually mentions an attempt at a dot-phosphor set being developed that would turn out to be the rare TV123 roundie. There was even a TV122 and TV121. This set appears to be completely Philco's own design. No borrowing here.

I have a Radio-Electronics magazine cover from January 1957 that shows the set on the cover...probably with a pasted-up color image which I will scan and post later. For that matter, it is a very good paste-up which may be an actual photo of it working. The dial and control arrangement is what ended up in the TV123, but turned on it's side.

You can follow this trip down memory lane...although quite engineering oriented...at;

http://www.myvintagetv.com/philco_apple_tube.htm
Audiokarma
Old 05-23-2004, 12:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here is the scan of the Apple set.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

1965 Admiral advert ....rectangular screen

On ebay at the moment is an advertisement for a 1965 Admiral LG5511 ....showing off it's new rectangular tube.

Nice looking set ....don't know what the this model was like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 05-23-2004, 03:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

1965 rectangular Motorola

This advertisement announces the new rectangular tube in Motorola Tvs....the advert comes from a Novemeber 1965 magazine.

Who made these new tubes ???? Who actually sorted out the issues? RCA? Motorola???
Old 05-23-2004, 09:41 PM
On Land

Perhaps this link will help...

http://www.motorola.com/content/0,,120-285,00.html

Looks like Motor was working with National Video Corp. It looks like there are other interesting tidbits of information here as well.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks guys for answering my question, you all have been really helpful . Also interesting to learn of that Philco "Apple" colour set, nice looking set too. Pity none of those sets exist, would be bonza to see one of those up and crankin' again.

Cheers
Troy