Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Where do I even begin to clean this chassis?

Since we're at T minus one week to the cabinet coming home, I was thinking about I can do to clean this grungy chassis.....any thoughts guys?

Old 01-21-2005, 07:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

We had a Zenith 1930's radio chassis in for repairs that looked like it had been at the bottom of a lake...really heavy corrosion. We removed the tubes, used Rid-Ox spray deoxidizer and an old toothbrush, then wiped off the dissolved dirt, and it removed a lot of the corrosion and gunk. Rid-ox is a petroleum based product made by Tech spray? and seemed to work well for this purpose although I prefer non-flammable Deoxit for control cleaning.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Would love to see the chassis, but all that's there is that infuriating red "X" in a box. Could be this POS computer I have, too, however.-Sandy G.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Would love to see the chassis, but all that's there is that infuriating red "X" in a box. Could be this POS computer I have, too, however.-Sandy G.
Came up fine for me, so you are probably right. Try rebooting.

Kamakiri - make sure you post the "after" pic, as well.

BTW - when are you picking up the video game?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's just you, Sandy :-)

It looks like the chassis of what seems like every piece of equipment I have in the basement at my house. That nice, uniform medium-dark grey patina of congealed dust lightly but evenly coating everything :-)

I'll try to repost it just for grins! First, I'll paste the URL (http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachm...tid=6935&stc=1) as an Image:

Then (sorry for the bandwidth toasting) try to upload it ab initio, slightly reduced in size.

Can you see me now?

BTW, I don't have many good suggestions and I am curious to see what comments Tim gets on this. Were it me, I'd probably dust it first with a 1" round camel hair paintbrush (medium stiff brush). I am a firm believer in judicious use of Windex (just like the old man in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding") for cleaning but it won't help much with metal oxidation.
Audiokarma
Old 01-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha B-2
Came up fine for me, so you are probably right. Try rebooting.

Kamakiri - make sure you post the "after" pic, as well.

BTW - when are you picking up the video game?
A guy here goes to NJ every other week, lemme see if he's ready to get it yet......he was supposed to let me know
Old 01-21-2005, 08:09 AM

The fact that you promise to take it is much more important than the fact that you actually do so. Its been there for a few years, so what's a few more. No hurry (seriously - its not going anywhere). Let's wait for better weather. But whenever is fine.

Now, how do I stick a 'happy banana' into this post?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:37 AM
A guy with too many tubes

Here's a heretical approach: put it in your utility sink. Spray heavily with a good citrus-based degreaser/cleaner until every spot is wet. Wait a minute, then HOSE IT DOWN, but getting as little H20 in transformers and paper caps. Use a soft brush on trouble spots. Your old toothbrush is good for small spots. Rinse thoroughly.

Now the most important part: put it in a nice warm dry spot to throughly dry out. Take a good look at the area around your furnace, or an extra forced air register where the wife won't mind. Have WD-40 handy to dry out trouble spots, prevent corrosion, and to help polish surfaces etc.

I am told all the time this is nuts, but a friend of mine has done this for about 35 years without a hitch. OH, don't fire up that unit till it's REALLY DRY. Don't get any more water in the transformer than you have to!!!

I have done this on dozens of units, and all have fired up just fine. I don't get water in paper caps, of course... Often you can turn somethign horrible into something quite nice in 10 minutes or less.

Okay, fire away now and tell me how horrible this practice is. I'm used to it.

deHavilland UltraVerve+Aries 845; L. Moore UltraFi Monaco
Tannoy GRF-R, DMT15; '52 Jensen Imperials+JBL LE15B; JBL 2226+2441+Edgar, Yuichi horns
Old 01-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Honestly that's not a bad idea. Since this set has a bad picture tube, it has almost zero chance of ever functioning again. But then again, years from now if the rebuilld process is ever developed, who knows......
Old 01-21-2005, 08:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

This appears to be a ct-100 TV chassis...there are nearly irreplaceable transformers on here...would not expose this to water as there is too great a chance of damage to very difficult to find parts.

I don't take a chance of getting water inside any chassis....it does not have to be perfectly clean to be functional. Personally I would advise against the water technique...why take the slight risk of damage when it could be avoided.
Audiokarma
Old 01-21-2005, 08:56 AM
A guy with too many tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hauris
This appears to be a ct-100 TV chassis...there are nearly irreplaceable transformers on here...
Er, I probably should have mentioned that the water method is not something even I would use on precious stuff. I thought we were talking about very ordinary stuff -- because to my ignorant eyes that chassis doesn't look special. I defer to you guys on all TV matters.

deHavilland UltraVerve+Aries 845; L. Moore UltraFi Monaco
Tannoy GRF-R, DMT15; '52 Jensen Imperials+JBL LE15B; JBL 2226+2441+Edgar, Yuichi horns
Old 01-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Some "heretics" on the R-390A board swear by putting assemblies in the dishwasher...but there's a LOT more R-390As out there, & the decks are made of stainless anyhow, so if you do screw something up, it's not that big a deal. But man, oh man, they sure are PURTY when ones been cleaned like that....-Sandy G.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Okay, shoot that then
Old 01-21-2005, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Cleaning your Chassis

I find the "hose me down" technique a bit scarey. Getting water into coils, transformers and flybacks is never a good idea.

I generally use a cloth or paper towels and water, maybe with just a little mild soap, and a green scratchy pad to remove the surface dirt and grime. The green scratchy will also remove light surface rust. The plating on the chassis is corroded, and nothing you do will ever make it look "good". If there is really bad rust in spots, I use OSPHO or some other rust inhibitor to stop the corrosion process, but as long as the chassis is in a dry spot, further corrosion should not be a problem. I know poople who use spray paint on corroded chassis, but that is not for me. I just makes it look like a spray painted chassis. And I don't think your chassis looks all that bad. I do like to clean and paint the end bells on power transformers (black).

Well, thats just my opinion....

BTW, before you reinstall the chassis in the cabinet, I recommend you take the rotating piece which drives the fine tuning off the front of the tuner and clean and lubricate the wheel which drives the arm up/down and the bearing whis wheel rotates on. This gets stiff and hard to turn, and is why many of the CT100 fine tuning knobs have the tabs broken off.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've been using some stuff called "RestorIt4", it's made for cleaning calcium and lime deposits. It's mostly a weak phosphoric acid and I've used it on two of my prewar sets. To see the before and after pictures of the chassis go to my web page (www.myvintagetv.com) and go to either the TRK-12 or TRK-5 restoration page.

It won't do anything for rust, that you'll need to use wire brushes and lots of elbow grease, but for oxidization and crud it works great.

Chuck

Learn from the mistakes of others -
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Audiokarma