Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
If the rack wasn't bolted to the floor, when you extended them on the rack slides, the rack would want to topple over on you.
The RHA's were all transistor (no IC's). The model before that was the CYA which was hybrid and used a 17" tube. Lots of these monitors were tossed out simply because TV stations were in a rush to convert to all transistor equipment and get out from the ever increasing price of vacuum tubes. Conrac CYA attached.
Thank you for the picture!
I was (re-)watching an old movie yesterday: Colossus, The Forbin Project (1970). It's about some run-away artificial intelligence that is tied into the nuclear arsenal of the USA and the USSR and decides that humans would be better off under its complete control. Spooky.
The video terminals in the control room definitely looked like Conracs, especially the four knobs on the front panels made them stand out. They very much resemble the CYA model you posted.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:23 PM
Damn does run fast…

The picture in question was almost certainly taken at the Shoreham plant on Long Island. GE BWR/4 (or /5?). 800 or so megawatts. It's become a popular urbex location, much to the annoyance of NY State (who I think owns it now).

There are quite a few Youtube videos of folks running around in it. They always feature the control room, a few get into the drywell even (!).

The plant ran for a while at low (2 or 5%) power, and officially never generated any power. Naturally, there's an old legend that says they cranked it up to 100% one time and put it on the grid...

Yes, it's been defueled and decontaminated now, and all the bad stuff is supposed to be removed. The state had to actually pay a utility to take the fuel off their hands....
Old 10-02-2017, 09:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's kinda ironic, back in the mid 80's i was given 3 of those Conrac RHB's that were donated from The Nashville Network "who upgraded to newer units" to a local college who didn't want them. I got 2 of them working and used them in my prototype home theater. I loved the modular design and used modules from the third unit to repair the other 2. fantastic picture with overscan capability. i remember watching a teaser trailer to the tv series Alien Nation, that episode was about alien "insert euphemism here" working girls according to imdb it was called "Lost Little Lamb", well lets say i saw things most viewers didn't see with underscan sets. lets just call it the mountain peaks. Anyway i got rid of these sets back in the mid 90's because i was a isolated tv collector back in the days before internet and moving away from home and i had gotten 4 Barco Vstar5 video projectors and was impressed by the size of the picture. If i had only known what what coming around the bend and there would be web forums for people like me. i would have saved everything.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Don't know about the RHB's but the RHA's were pricey, about $5700 when new. All American parts and labor too. They're collectible just because of that.