Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Toshiba 16" Roundie in '63?

I found an article in a 1963 copy of Electronic Technician that Toshiba was going to introduce to the American market a 16" tabletop roundie in the same year, Does any one know if this happened?
Old 08-27-2004, 03:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Captain,

I know that Toshiba marketed a 16" rectangular tube color set in 1964. It was available as a table model and through Sears as a small console. I think there's a picture of it somewhere on the Fourm.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmmm... That is interesting. There is a small sears rectangular console in the barn up by me, Maybe it's that 1964 model.
I am still curious though if Toshiba ever made a 16" round tube color set either here or in Japan.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

That COULD be that awful POS we had that was a Sears brand. Wasn't a roundie, but had a more round than normal screen. Sometimes it would go kerflooey B4 the repairman got out of the driveway good. My dad sold it to a guy, & bought that Porta-color I've mentioned B4. I think it worked fine for the fella dad sold it to for something like 10 years. -This would have been around 1963-64, so that's the right time frame. -Sandy G.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

It was NOT the '64 model sears in the barn..

Probably a '66 or later, as it had a place for non-octal tube for the damper and output, and IIRC, an article i read about tha '64 toshiba, stated it used a 6dq5 output.

BTW, the set was too far gone to pick up, as were most of them in the barn, but I did get my Zenith,25mc33 roundie, a 25ap22 tube in a box(condition unknown), some tubes, a zenith rectangualr chassis, from a late '60's color ret, a flyback out of a rusted ctc15,and a round tube, admiral metal cabinet set,(for the crt, as I originally took the crt out of the ctc 11 cabinet, and was wheeling it up to my van, got to the rear bumper, sat the cart down too fast, and the tube flipped over, and .......So, since it was getting dark by that time, I did not have time to take the tube out of the admiral, so i took the whole thing. the crt may not be any good(there is a brightener on it), but maybe, it has some potential, after the cataracts are repaired.
Audiokarma
Old 08-27-2004, 06:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm glad you got that Zenith roundie Jack! Hope the other stuff is useful too. You say you got done at dark with the loading, How late did you get back home? IIRC, You were quite a drive from me and I am 70 mi S of the barn.
BTW, I got the Zenith you gave me working, It has a great picture!
Old 08-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Administrator

This may explain a mystery for me.

In the 70's I briefly had a Sears color set that was tabletop size (16" would seem about right) but was smaller than the normal roundie. From the construction it was obviously late 50's early 60s, large necked tube and all but I don't remember if it was completely round or a rounded rectangular tube.

Eric
Old 08-27-2004, 08:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I saw the article in the magazine it too reminded me of a sears set that seemed like the one you mentioned.
I originally got it with about 20 sets from a retiring tv man in 1978 but just tossed it because the back was missing as well as half of the tubes. Not sure if it were truly round, But I seem to remember it having the large neck also...
Old 08-27-2004, 08:46 PM
swanson

Toshiba did make a 17"rectangular color tube back in 1958.Click
on the link below and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Swanson
http://www.toshiba.com/taec/main/milestones/#1965
Old 08-29-2004, 02:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

We left the barn at about 9:15,

and did not get back to my house till after 2. BTW--what was wrong with that digital zenith?
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2004, 09:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

The 9-700 was trashed, Someone had tried repeatedly to fix it so I decided it would be easier to replace it with a rebuilt. All is ok now.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:29 PM
jasonlava

And FWIW, of all the new TV's Toshiba has the best picture. So they're doing something right. I was just in the living room at my friend's house watching Futurama on the 32" flat tube.