Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 PM
The Devil Inside

You don't see this every day...

RCA Console radio in the original box: http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...zip=65738&kwd=

No affiliation, etc. Looks to be a fairly low-end model, but you don't see much that old with the packaging.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like a battery powered set... farm radio.

jr
Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's a 4 tube battery set. Not quite portable, unless you're Superman.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...8/M0015258.pdf
Old 12-01-2009, 08:38 PM
The Devil Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Looks like a battery powered set... farm radio.

jr
That would make sense, it's in a fairly rural area. They don't have any pictures of the inside of the bottom area - I wonder if it has one of those mains adapter boxes?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice! First time I've seen a cardboard box for a console. I went to a great sale in the early 90s at a place that had been in business forever. (back to early Victrola days, anyhow) They had lots of wooden crates for consoles: Philco, Atwater-Kent I think, maybe Stromberg-Carlson.

If this were close by I would be very tempted to check it out. Nice thing about a radio like that, not usually much to getting them working.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:10 PM
AK Member

Way back in 1983 a guy must have seen one of my business cards and called me about buying some radios. These were Crosley's that were new in the box and stored in the second floor storage area of a gas station. The radios were from the late 40's through the early 50's and included about 12 consoles and large radio/phono table models. Back then I didn't recognize any of the model numbers and the console were pretty plain so I didn't even make an offer on them. I did wind up buying all 73 of the small table sets; all of which were in their original boxes with many of them still factory sealed.

Some of the models you might recognize were several of the Duette's (56TD) in both ivory and maroon, 5 of the 6 colors offered in the Princess or Jewelers Radio series, and several models that probably still aren't commonly listed. A buddy went in 50% with me and we sold almost all the duplicates but kept at least one of all the others. I know I kept two of the maroon 56TD's; one for display and the other one still sealed. Anyway, my whole point of this was to say that by the late 40's they were using large cardboard boxes for the Crosley consoles too:

The tailpipes hanging beside the radios shows how they were sharing space with gas station surplus. We had a lot of fun with those radios and believe-it-or-not I brought all 73 of them home in a Chevy Citation hatchback.