Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Hillbilly DeLuxe

Smile Need 1941 Zenith advice

Howdy, What have I gotten myself into? My wife bought me a really nice Zenith floor radio for an anniversary gift a few years back. At that time my hobby was old Buicks, so knowing nothing about old radios I plugged it in and it played pretty good. Since then my hobby has changed to old tube audio stuff. Well, after some succesful recapping and resistor changing on some Fisher and HK stuff I remembered the old Zenith. Brought it down to the man cave for a power cord change and good cleaning (right). After pulling the chassis I have found that all wires that aren't cloth have little or no ins. left. I think I can change them one at a time, but what about all those orange, cardboard and wax capacitors? I guess my ? is where do I stop. I probably have enough Western Electric caps (I bought a huge lot in military packaging that seem ok) but do they really need to be replaced? I would greatly appreciate any and all advice on this project as the Old Zenith is a true survivor (the cabinet is near perfect) and deserves to live on for generations to come. Thank you kindly, Jay