Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2015, 11:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

had some time to put into this, I deciphered enough of the power supply to redo it. Have no interest in keeping the stock can around for look, that radio will work, or at least catch fire when I am done

So see the pics below....

First off, I selected a 120ohm 10w resistor behind a 2.5amp, 1000piv diode

I mounted them to a terminal strip (something I REALLY am going to miss getting from radio shack) and then mounted all of this to some spare phenol I keep around.

I mounted all of this on top of the chassis so the diode cannot get hot and the cement resistor can bleed off heat.

That second 'transformer' I pulled the leads back up thru the chassis so they can solder directly. I put a small strip on the bottom, all thru bolted, that bolt and those 2 pins connected to it act as the common point for each cap, which goes to B-, which only touches the actual chassis after it goes thru a 220K resistor.

I used close values, the 40 became 47, the 33 became 33, the 50 became 56 and the 100u-25v I used a 100u-50v (section 4 of the original can)

The leads you see are for the AC input (black) and B+ after the 40u cap, transformer, 30u cap (red wire)

All the other lead lines are being replaced with 20gauge hookup wire (another thing I would get from the shack)

At the same time, I replaced the power cord with a polarized one, and am rewiring such the switch switches the hot side and controls the power supply, filaments and the 'pilot light' which is nothing more than a 7w c9? bulb.

After I initially inspected the radio I did in fact plug it in and it didnt burst into flames and after 20 seconds made the 'my rectifier cap is totally gone' growl.

As I go I am cleaning the chassis with steel wool and everything else. Most wires will be replaced, all wax caps (I count 12) and any small resistor. It does have some ceramic discs that use color codes, I gotta go refresh my memory how to read those, the same values per color as resistors, but the orientation...I think the standard is mmf? shoulda paid more attention in college...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top of ps.jpg (57.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg bottom of ps.jpg (71.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg installed.jpg (64.1 KB, 16 views)

Pioneer Silver-face Collector