Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:54 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

You must ground the anode wire to the chassis for several minutes before going near it, just discharging it once and digging in is asking for trouble. Ask me how I know, stray voltage will build up as it sits, then next thing you know you get whacked even though you thought you were being careful!
Old 11-23-2013, 01:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
You must ground the anode wire to the chassis for several minutes before going near it, just discharging it once and digging in is asking for trouble. Ask me how I know, stray voltage will build up as it sits, then next thing you know you get whacked even though you thought you were being careful!
You are correct and remember this: Even after doing what you mentioned and you are going to handle a C.R.T. for say a swap or even a good cleaning, you can still get hit and drop the tube. A C.R.T. is basically a giant capacitor only a bit harder to fully discharge and have it remain discharged.

Someone once posted about this and it would be a good one to look up to get the details, but the jist of the story was that the tube can be seemingly safe and even handled a number of times and then BAM you get hit. Static charge perhaps making you flinch and drop the tube!?!?!