Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2016, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

It did seem when I was a kid in the early 90s there were more Saturday morning cartoons. I recall NBC showing children's programming such as Babar recently on Saturday mornings. CBS had some Nickelodeon programs such as Blues Clues for quite awhile. Fox network has always showed quite a bit of educational programming on Saturday mornings such as Wild About Animals (which I thought was out of production but was surprised to find it still is as of last year), and some local student-produced programs. I actually did watch some of these programs in recent years as they were quite interesting such as the travel shows, and more interesting than the infomercials if I really wanted to watch TV on a Saturday morning.

Another thing I noticed was that the programs on PBS have gone from being mostly live-action to being animated. Around the mid-00s a lot of the new programs were animated. When I was a kid even in the early 90s, Sesame Street hadn't changed much from its early days but if I turned it on today, it would be much different. The older animated segments that were used for years aren't used anymore and there is a lot of claymation replacing puppets.

I rarely turn on the TV most weekday evenings anymore. YouTube is more interesting to me. I can watch many of the programs I used to see or even episodes I always wanted to see but never got to when they were on TV. (That is until they get deleted for copyright violations). lol I like PBS' long-running British comedies on Saturday evenings and find myself watching them most weeks. Especially now that they are airing back-to-back episodes and showing them later in the evening.