Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Talking TV Photos.

It's mis-placed, but, somewhere, in our family archives, is a picture of me sitting in front of our 1950 RCA Victor family tv set, at the ripe old age of 1 year old. Won't show if I find it, though, as picture might be slightly obscene. I was buck naked!!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

First TV set factory in Brazil

I was surfing the net when I found this photo...it was taken in 1952/53. It was taken on the Invictus factory, which produced the first televisions made in Brazil in early 1952. This is one of their very first models, I believe it was one which was also a radio set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg invictus_gallery5.jpg (22.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 10-25-2006, 03:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

same model of the above photo

I was researching my archives on CD-ROM's when I found this 1952 ad. It's the same TV on the photo above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PROPAGANDA_52.jpg (70.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Video
I was surfing the net when I found this photo...it was taken in 1952/53. It was taken on the Invictus factory, which produced the first televisions made in Brazil in early 1952. This is one of their very first models, I believe it was one which was also a radio set.
Wow, I imagined south america getting TV much later. Todays spanish TV shows seem to be mostly "T"&"A" shots mixed into everything for kids and adults alike. I would love to see early broadcasts from spanish TV. Does anybody know if spanish broadcasts were always as sexual as they are today?
I would guess yes but perhaps with a little more good taste.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Brady
Todays spanish TV shows seem to be mostly "T"&"A" shots mixed into everything for kids and adults alike.
That's likely because the people who would complain to the FCC never watch the Spanish TV channels. And nobody at the FCC watches Spanish TV either... My father used to like to put the local Spanish TV stations on just to see the above mentioned t and a... This annoyed my mom...
Audiokarma
Old 10-28-2006, 02:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

TV in South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Brady
Wow, I imagined south america getting TV much later. Todays spanish TV shows seem to be mostly "T"&"A" shots mixed into everything for kids and adults alike. I would love to see early broadcasts from spanish TV. Does anybody know if spanish broadcasts were always as sexual as they are today?
I would guess yes but perhaps with a little more good taste.
Here in Brazil we don't speak spanish, but portuguese.
However, the standard of TV programming here has been very low, lots of sexual stuff, but it is a little better now.
I don't know about the other latin-american countries, but the standard of programming here was very different on the early days of television. Very high level - Shakespeare plays, some short documentaries, lots of musical numbers, Quiz shows, cartoons for kids and sport broadcasting. I imagine that the standard for TV broadcasting here went downhill when the TV set began to became affordable to the masses of the poor and uneducated, no longer being just the rich people's toy it was in the begining. I also imagine that the "liberation" of the morality that happened around the world in the 60's played it's part as well.
Very little recording of the brazilian television of the 1950's exist today, because 90% of the programs were live staged, and most of the stuff that was recorded on film was destroyed on fires that plagued the TV stations in the 1960's ( believed cause of those fires is political motivation ), and also, many of the earlier TV stations, including the first one, went bankrupt and are no longer operating.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cahill
It's mis-placed, but, somewhere, in our family archives, is a picture of me sitting in front of our 1950 RCA Victor family tv set, at the ripe old age of 1 year old. Won't show if I find it, though, as picture might be slightly obscene. I was buck naked!!

I suspect all here can be trusted to respectfully veiw a 1 year old child nude.
Somehow I think we would not notice the private areas but you could blur it out if it makes you feel better. I think Bill is being funny but what a downer to think that as a society we have to be paranoid about a nude baby.

Don't take that the wrong way! I love our society inspite of my recognizing faults here and there. I love everybody and everything, I just wish we could all be concerned with the important stuff first

I don't need to see Bill's photo but it would be cute to see a TV where it was way back then.
It's frustrating to not be able to add any humor here as someone would likely interpret it completely wrong.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Heres the "elvis" set
Old 02-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Banned

If Moses Znaimer still cared about his TV Museum MAYBE he would give you $100,000.00 for that set (yeah right) since it is way bigger than the Marilyn Monroe B&W portable set he paid something like $35,000.00 for. Timing is EVERYTHING.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Peanut Head

Here is an actual picture of me @ 1 1/2 years of age. I think the set you see was a Hallicrafters. I seem to remember that it gave off a tremendous amount of radiation and the image would sometimes leave the screen and come out into the room! (The record player on top was an RCA Victor 45 changer.)

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Audiokarma
Old 02-24-2004, 07:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Can you guess what set they are looking at?

Im not really sharp on identifiying ctc-4's-7's. My grandfather worked for the chicago tribune, and over the years he accumulated many slides on various products and statistics. this is my favorite, being tv related. Judging by the sets in the photo and the 3 year thing, this slide is probably from around 1958

Last edited by drh4683; 02-24-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Family photo

Here is my family tv photo, its actually my dad with his lionel train set up in the living room. Dad says this set was replaced with their first color TV in 1966, which was a motorola console. In this picture, its a 1954 zenith. I actually had one that I found on the curb years back. It was ruined from mold and mildew. For whatever reason, I still took it home and fixed it up. It was still far to gone to save, it worked though!

This picture dates to June 1963.

Last edited by drh4683; 02-24-2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Re: Can you guess what set they are looking at?

I thought the set to their left was the "Wingate" but the line on the door is different.

Quote:
Originally posted by drh4683
Im not really sharp on identifiying ctc-4's-7's. My grandfather worked for the chicago tribune, and over the years he accumulated many slides on various products and statistics. this is my favorite, being tv related.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Huh?

This was the "picture of the day" at classicappliances.com.
Bob
Old 02-25-2004, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great photo!
Those Philco TV sets look like the 1950 models.
Jim
Audiokarma