Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unhappy Panasonic Tau CT-30WC15N

I was moving my original sharp TV to the living room after buying a bunch of converter cables so I could retro game on it. I dropped it maybe an inch from the ground and it no longer powers on so I decided to pick up a new-ish Panasonic Tau. The TV was a good price but was pickup only so I ended up spending more than I would have liked.

It was working perfectly when I got home, beautiful picture, but I noticed some pin cushioning in 4:3 mode so I copied down all the information from the service menu and I went to work but I wasn't satisfied with the alignment/convergence. So I pressed the Reset/Factory Reset key combo in the service menu. Immediately after pressing reset the TV turned off and upon turning it back on it clicks like it did before and then enters what appears to be standby mode.

I've read all about the blinking error codes and as far as I'm aware it only blinks 13 times max. The power light is dimmed and continues to blink as long as the set is plugged in.

From what I understand these mid 2000s TVs often have surge protection in the form of a fuse. I'm planning on cracking open the TV soon to check the fuse but I was hoping for some suggestions for other areas I might be able to probe. (It weighs 146 lbs)
Old 04-21-2022, 04:35 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

Yeah make sure to check the solder connections on the horiz out transistor and transformer. I have the CT34WX54 16:9 CRT set and have had problems with this and some of the modules and connectors.
When you do get the set running again be sure to write down ALL of the hex parameters for the various settings in the service menus for all of the scan modes, I made the mistake of not recording them and have yet to get it done right. This is a very finicky set and it doesn't take much to make a big change, once the parameter is changed its written to the EEPROM in real time.

Last edited by ARC Tech-109; 04-21-2022 at 04:44 AM. Reason: auto post before completion
Old 04-25-2022, 02:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

I haven't cracked her open yet, nerves. I have found a lot of adjacent model crt service manuals but nothing for it specifically.

Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know what it ends up being, there's not enough info on the internet about these older panasonic sets.

Last edited by zer0phusi0n; 05-20-2022 at 02:16 PM.