Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:27 PM
David Thomas

I forgot about that but now that I see a picture of it, I remember replacing those rather often, enough that we used to keep one in stock.

Of course, most of the problems from that chassis was cold solder joints in the tuner and tuner control module. Anybody who done much RCA work probably remembers soldering the connection pins on those.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

If the set has OSD look to the tuner pkg next. The
OSD was in there, also check the joints where the 2 parts
plug together. Also recheck the CRT board for joints
especially at the R- out transistor.

73 Zeno
Old 06-21-2016, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Update # 2

In my last update I had changed the screen/focus control circuit and re-set the focus/screen and used a color meter to set the greyscale and color calibration. The picture was excellent along with all colors, tints, etc. My only other symptom was that there still was a red "surge" or "flicker" - almost like the set was trying to adjust for flesh tones.

So I thought I would just run the set for a while and see how it acted while I contemplated my next move. One evening while watching a program, the set started to make crackling/popping noises - like high voltage arcing or grounding. It happened a total of three times over a couple days and caused some bright flashes on the CRT. There was no smell or smoke. The picture remained excellent after this HOWEVER, the red flash/surge/flicker is now GONE!!! This happened over several weeks ago and has not happened again. The picture remains absolutely perfect!

I don't see anything burned or any evidence of arcing (that I can tell) that left a mark anywhere on the inside. My thought was that I stirred up some dust somewhere when changing the screen control, either around the flyback or where the high voltage plugs into the CRT (???) and then it caused a grounding situation that cleared itself (????). But how it cleared up the red flash is beyond me, but all I can say is that the TV fixed itself !

It has been working perfectly now with an excellent picture - and I mean EXCELLENT - it looks as good if not better than a new HD flat screen. I think using a color meter with test screens DVD to set the color drivers and bias controls resulted in the optimum setting because it isn't being set by human eye. The "Colormeter HCR" software I used gives percentage values for each color and you dial in the controls until you hit 100% for each color for two separate levels of greyscale - the result is a perfect black and white picture which then results in a perfect color picture- completely amazing. The software is free online, I got a color meter on ebay for cheap and the screen test DVD used on amazon, so for minimal cost. I have read that the new Flat screens come from the factory set with over-saturated colors - almost cartoonish ( as witnessed everytime I look at the new sets in the stores.) To get a person to come out to your house to dial in a new flat screen (or any set) can cost at least $150.00.

So for now, all things seem stable and I will just leave the set alone. The flyback for this set is extremely rare, so if that goes out, it will be done - I thought I had found a NOS flyback from a place in Florida (as a back up), but they couldn't find it in their inventory.

I do appreciate all the helpful comments!
Old 06-21-2016, 04:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Probably some dust or crud inside the CRT got burned off.
Not rare, usually happens after a hard rejuvanation.

New sets are never set right out of box. Some even have a
demo feature that gives way too much color. Done to
draw attention to the set. Dont matter if it looks like shit,
most dont know how to judge a pic. Damn few will ever go
into the menus either..........
Settings of the customer controls is the cure.

73 Zeno
Old 06-21-2016, 04:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

the original owner. how cool is that!?
Audiokarma
Old 06-25-2016, 02:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

i think i have a couple of chassis that have good flybacks on them should you need one. i never had a replacement flyback fail rca did correct the problems they had with the flybacks. steve
Old 06-26-2016, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bet Moyers has a spare flyback.