Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

ESR meter

I'd like to pick up an ESR meter.
I don't do much servicing anymore, but as mentioned in other threads, it's an invaluable servicing aid.
I've looked on the E place and other on-line sellers, but some appear to be very basic type, go-no-go type instruments.
Regular users, please advise!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

i have a couple of them different manufactures, i just got another one for xmas that im not happy with, i just got done writing the seller off epay ill see what the returns are for it its is.i got a mesr-100 i wanted another one around just for comparison when i dont trust my other one, you know how thats is sometimes you just want to sure your equitment isnt miss reading anything or sometimes one will catch something the other dint.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

If I needed one, I'd build it. They are very simple and you can find a few different designs online.

There are some Chinese meters that are pretty good as well as inexpensive. They are called LCR meters and many have an ESR function.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:56 PM
Workin' Late Again

Agree they're easy to build. For a makeshift setup you can connect a function generators output in parallel with a scope. Set the function generator for a 100khz @ 100mv square wave output. The cap under test also gets placed in parallel with the generator and scope input. Basically a good electrolytic cap will short out most of the signal, whereas one that's gone open or developed internal resistance with show more of the generators signal. At least it's very educational to see the results on the scope.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

i was going to make the octopus tester for testing components on my scope, see what the cap. or diode is doing with power applied to the component ,and see results on the scope, esp. on intermittent problems.
Audiokarma