Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-20-2002, 08:57 PM
AK Member

need help with my old airline radio

I've got this old (late 20's early 30's) Airline super heterodyne floor model radio left to me by my grandfather. The cord was in really bad shape so I replaced it. It powers up, and it tunes in stations, but there's an awful humming noise. I know zip about tube radios. any ideas? a bad tube mebbe?
Old 07-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Banned

radio hums

Sounds like the electrolytic capacitors need to be replaced. The paper caps are also probably leaky and should be replaced too.

Rob
Old 07-20-2002, 09:47 PM
AK Member

Thanks Rob,
Say, are the parts still available? And is it something I could do myself being slightly mechanically inclined , but knowing nothing about old tube radios? Maybe with the help of a book from the library?

Thanks again ,
Derek
Old 07-20-2002, 10:24 PM
Banned

Derek,

You will need rosen core radio solder (not acid core) and a soldering gun or iron.

The parts are still easy enough to find if you don't mind using modern components under the chassis. I'd go for tubular axial lead electrolytic caps and leave the original can type installed for authentic appearance. Disconnect them from the circuit. Try to find an electronics surplus store in your town and call them for the parts. You can also get the parts you need from someone like www.frontiercapacitor.com (I'm guessing that URL).

Try to locate a vintage radio club in your area and befriend someone local. Hobbyists are usually happy to help a newcomer.

There are lots of vintage radio swapmeets around the country as well. Many are a good place to meet other collectors/restorers and buy the parts you need at very reasonable prices.
You could do a google search on AWA (Antique Wireless Association) or Vintage Radio Clubs.

Good luck and have fun.

Rob