Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:25 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Angry WHY do people do this??

Maybe there's a legitimate reason for it that eludes me, but...

I can't remember the last time I pulled something off the curb with a fully intact AC power cord. They are always cut off, or at least have the plugs lopped off the end (easier to fix). Maybe it's to prevent kids from getting entangled or strangled, or to stop people messing with potentially dangerous failed equipment...but I lean more towards selfish and stingy people trying to prevent others from getting use out of their castaways! What do you think? A 27-inch Philips Magnavox S-Video equipped stereo CRT TV set I rescued last night needed absolutely nothing except a cord.

Last edited by YamahaFreak; 04-27-2014 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Corrected a spelling error
Old 04-28-2014, 07:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

The main reason? Copper scrap. The owner probably didn't do it. Some scrapper driving by probably snagged the cord.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

its scrappers
Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Another reason that might account for a small percentage- recalls. I had a crock pot that was recalled. They sent a new unit, but they included a prepaid envelope and asked that I mail them the plug off the old one to prove it had been disabled.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's amazing how some people scrounge up the tiniest bits of copper, thinking they're going to get any significant amount of money.

While in college, I worked as a telecom installer, and one time when we were pulling a lot of network cable (4-pair CAT6) in a large building, one of the janitors kept gathering up our cable scraps, which were only a couple feet long or so. He thought he was going to get big money for it.
Audiokarma
Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
It's amazing how some people scrounge up the tiniest bits of copper, thinking they're going to get any significant amount of money.

While in college, I worked as a telecom installer, and one time when we were pulling a lot of network cable (4-pair CAT6) in a large building, one of the janitors kept gathering up our cable scraps, which were only a couple feet long or so. He thought he was going to get big money for it.
There is a place nearby with a sign asking for ANY copper wire.
You see a guy sitting inside a box truck stripping insulation off it.
Wonder how that pays off. At least theyre not burning it off.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
Another reason that might account for a small percentage- recalls. I had a crock pot that was recalled. They sent a new unit, but they included a prepaid envelope and asked that I mail them the plug off the old one to prove it had been disabled.
Yes, that's a good point. I had a surge protector outlet strip by APC which was recently recalled, and while they didn't require me to send in anything as proof (other than a digital photo of the serial tag), they instructed to destroy it by cutting off the cord.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post

Isn't that the type of cable where the conductors are copper clad steel?
If you take a magnet to the wire, it's attracted to it.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

No, it's solid copper. This is what is used for Ethernet jacks (often called "RJ45" jacks).
Old 04-28-2014, 04:33 PM

I'd imagine the copper in a four-foot-long stranded power cable is worth such a trivial amount of money (as is the yoke!) that people wouldn't bother...this whole scrapping thing really has gotten way out of hand IMO. I can remember five years ago it didn't exist at all. Now we have trucks and vans driving down our street at all hours of Monday and Thursday nights. I'm very lucky if I get to save anything now. FWIW I'd rather these things fixed up and sold or given to people that can use them, instead of being completely destroyed for at most a couple dollars. >_<
Old 04-28-2014, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't get it either. You would think driving around a full-size chevy truck or a big ford van getting 8mpg clipping random power cords would not be profitable.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
I don't get it either. You would think driving around a full-size chevy truck or a big ford van getting 8mpg clipping random power cords would not be profitable.
That is a VERY good point!!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaFreak View Post
I'd imagine the copper in a four-foot-long stranded power cable is worth such a trivial amount of money (as is the yoke!) that people wouldn't bother...this whole scrapping thing really has gotten way out of hand IMO. I can remember five years ago it didn't exist at all. Now we have trucks and vans driving down our street at all hours of Monday and Thursday nights. I'm very lucky if I get to save anything now. FWIW I'd rather these things fixed up and sold or given to people that can use them, instead of being completely destroyed for at most a couple dollars. >_<
Yup, as soon as I saw an older clothes dryer that I thought to be worth saving, I started dragging it. I wouldn't leave it long enough to go home for my dolly, which was fairly nearby. I knew from experience that a scrapper would have it before I got back. I was going to hide it and then get my dolly, but then I was offered help. The rear feet were destroyed from grinding on the concrete, but they're just specialized bolts, gone now.

Hey, it was free.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 PM

You should have seen me last week, toting an RCA D52W19 rear-projection HDTV over a mile from the thrift store dumpster to my house...on a modified wagon. :P
Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaFreak View Post
You should have seen me last week, toting an RCA D52W19 rear-projection HDTV over a mile from the thrift store dumpster to my house...on a modified wagon. :P
The said dolly also brought home a junker Hitachi console TV over 4 1/2 miles. Good for parts at least I figured, mainly the delta-gun CRT. I did part it out once I discovered that someone had severed and spliced the HV 2nd anode wire. Two days ago the stored 25VCXP22 was hit from the back by a falling small plant pot; lucky for me it was the pot that broke, I was standing directly over the thing. No more careless storage of small, hard items.

Last edited by Jon A.; 04-28-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Audiokarma