Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

As for replacement I think the old 22-5001 caps have been bought up.
I am sure someone will pipe in with the proper replacements. They have to handle the 1 KV spikes on the hoz output plus the 130 VDC.

Reason this is important is the HV runs at 30 KV. Every cap that opens
adds apx 2KV. If all 5 open you are over 40KV HV. I had one where 4 were open & that set sent lightning bolts from from the HV. It will work with a few bad but it will slowly eat up the HV tripler, CRT socket, HV divider when used & Hoz out. The ozone is a sure symptom of trouble.
BTW you may hear about the 4 lead cap. Its the same idea but only on newer chassii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlague View Post
Hey Zeno,

Thank you! I'm glad to hear it as a good chassis as the looks alone are what made me go after it.

I had a peak and the two caps on the flyback are indeed white with the wording "Special". Do you have a recommended replacement?

And thank you for the disassembly tips! Honestly, with everything being a connection point it looks very easy to get at and service.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
As for replacement I think the old 22-5001 caps have been bought up.
I am sure someone will pipe in with the proper replacements. They have to handle the 1 KV spikes on the hoz output plus the 130 VDC.

Reason this is important is the HV runs at 30 KV. Every cap that opens
adds apx 2KV. If all 5 open you are over 40KV HV. I had one where 4 were open & that set sent lightning bolts from from the HV. It will work with a few bad but it will slowly eat up the HV tripler, CRT socket, HV divider when used & Hoz out. The ozone is a sure symptom of trouble.
BTW you may hear about the 4 lead cap. Its the same idea but only on newer chassii.
I managed to pick up 4 NOS Zenith 22-5001 caps on Epay. It looks like that is the last of them. I grabbed a 22-5001 Zenith equivalent by Associates. I figure this will be better than what is current in the system.

As much as I'd enjoy having a Tesla coil, inside of a TV is not where I would want it. Based on the scorch marks I am seeing on the socket and elsewhere, it would seem that your analysis is correct. I'll report back once I get these new caps swapped in.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-04-2022, 05:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlague View Post
.....As much as I'd enjoy having a Tesla coil, inside of a TV is not where I would want it. Based on the scorch marks I am seeing on the socket and elsewhere, it would seem that your analysis is correct....

A point to remember here is that if the socket is scorched, it very well could continue to arc even when the new caps are installed and bring the voltage back down to where it's supposed to be. The scorching produces "Carbon Tracks" which could allow the arc to happen at the lower proper voltage (better conductivity through the burnt carbon VS a virgin socket)

I figure you likely already know this, but in case you didn't, it's worth mentioning......