Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

The last AK casket radio - model 55

Here's a very clean original Atwater Kent model 55 with matching F-4 external speaker. It has the optional green painted top panel and speaker grill and works pretty well as-is 92 years later. Both pieces are quite heavy and convey quality in and out. Although it seems like positioning the speaker atop the set is correct, it actually isn't. It not only covers a nice brass medallion, but because the panel is convex, the speaker sits wobbly. AK himself did not like items placed atop his radios. It looks good that way though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00212.jpg (99.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-03-2021, 01:26 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Wow, what a gem!
Old 07-03-2021, 03:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Wow, what a gem!
Thanks. i had my eyes open for a nice working metal AC AK and this is the first time I found one locally. I wouldn't dare have these pieces shipped. I also like that it's the green 55.
Old 07-03-2021, 03:10 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Thanks. i had my eyes open for a nice working metal AC AK and this is the first time I found one locally. I wouldn't dare have these pieces shipped. I also like that it's the green 55.
If it's anything like my AK model 40 the radio it's self is pretty rugged and and shippable... Though I'd pull the tubes and box them for safety. I always thought these metal box AKs to be a bit utilitarian for the era. Though I was glad I had 2 model 40s when a college friend brought me his AK 40 that had been passed his family since new to fix.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-03-2021, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one of these and it did work for a while with all its original parts. After some time one of the caps did need replacing. Its a nice sounding radio but I cheated and use a PM speaker as I dont have an original speaker for it.

I wouldnt want to ship one of these monsters either.
Audiokarma
Old 07-03-2021, 03:29 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmeplease View Post
I have one of these and it did work for a while with all its original parts. After some time one of the caps did need replacing. Its a nice sounding radio but I cheated and use a PM speaker as I dont have an original speaker for it.

I wouldnt want to ship one of these monsters either.
I ran an RCA 100A 20s paper cone speakers with mine for a long time it was a really good combo...I've got an AK paper cone speaker I want to try eventually too.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-03-2021, 04:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

The weight is where I see the greatest issue in shipping one of these, especially both pieces. The set weighs about 60lbs and the speaker is probably 25 pounds more. It would be pricey.
The utilitarian look of these and most of AK's '20's sets shows Kent's simplistic Vermonters approach to building things. The plainness of them is compensated by a sense of great quality. Basically a "machine-age" look. Compared to cars of the day these are built like old Packards.
I'm going to use it sparingly as-is. I still have old sets like my Radiola 60 that work fine on their old caps. The trick is not to leave them on for an extended amount of time, especially if the audio gets very "muddy".
Old 07-03-2021, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I ran an RCA 100A 20s paper cone speakers with mine for a long time it was a really good combo...I've got an AK paper cone speaker I want to try eventually too.
I didnt have an old speaker but I had a horn with no base or driver. So I used a box from an old wood phone, attached a small PM speaker, and attached wires and required resistors inside radio to use that. It looks and sounds nice. (no phones were harmed, it was an empty box)

Im one of those when i need something i dont run to town. I can usually find parts to build something that will work. I have lots of junk, lol.
Perhaps someday I'll find a correct speaker that doesnt cost so much but until then...

Heres a video of mine playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUUkL2azybM