Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was given two VCRs today

Today, a woman (who has bad luck with VCRs apparently) gave me two VCRs to look at. One of them is an RCA VR-519. With the cover removed, I plugged it in. It quickly started making a loudish clicking sound. I noticed the main cam seemed to be making that noise, and it looks like its trying to move.

The other VCR is a Symphonic 6300. At first I thought it was dead, but it seems the display just won't light up. I tried putting my test tape in, and it loaded the tape around the drum, but I got no picture on the TV. I was about to give up, but then I realized it might be the tape. So I put a pre recorded tape in, and to my surprise, it started playing! The picture quality isn't that bad for a two head model either.

Would anyone be able to help me fix the clicky RCA, or get the display working on the Symphonic?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Actually I take it back, the Symphonic VCR is pretty bad. The colors are washed out and I see slight color shifting. Edit: The display started working again out of the blue, but I noticed its creasing parts of the tape.

Last edited by vintagevcr; 06-18-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:53 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagevcr
Today, a woman (who has bad luck with VCRs apparently) gave me two VCRs to look at. One of them is an RCA VR-519. With the cover removed, I plugged it in. It quickly started making a loudish clicking sound.
Sounds like it might be the tray that carries the tape when you push it into the unit.... Perhaps its getting stuck or is not aligned properly.....

Good luck with them...... Does she want the units back??
Old 06-19-2014, 04:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

She told me to do whatever with them.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

The display stopped working again.
Audiokarma
Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 PM
blast, blast...

If that's the Samsung made unit I think it is look for a 1uF "start" cap in the power supply. This cap goes south but, won't show until the power is interrupted. Then the PS won't start again.

That assumes the rest of the caps will hold up once the PS starts ("colors shifting", etc.).