Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Aspiring Videographer

Sony 9800A Hi-8 Deck Question

I recently acquired this deck of the 'Bay as I have a good collection of 8mm and Hi-8 tapes and wanted to know if anyone knows about these units.

In testing this deck it works great, only minor thing is that the unit plays Video 8 tapes just fine but with Hi-8 tapes I have video noise and snow, but can still see a picture. Not sure if its a head issue or not.

I don't mind getting the deck serviced if that's what it needs but I need to try to find a service location in the Houston area as it can be costly to have it shipped and risking damage.

Thanks for any help!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:48 PM
M is for Memory

I've got an EVO-9800 deck. Got it at a surplus store for 12$. It is missing it's top, but was amazingly complete in comparison to the other tape decks there. I was able to record and play back a HI8 tape, the source I recorded from was an old betamax tape so I can't say if the mild-moderate video noise was the HI8 or the betamax, but it did seem to work quite nicely compared to good quality SVHS if one ignores the noise.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-12-2014, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Have you tried recording Hi-8 on the deck? When playing back does the Hi-8 indicator turn on?
I don't remover if there was a switch that forced the unit to 8mm playback/record, I would check and make sure it is in Hi-8 mode.