Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

For classical there is not much over the air these days in most markets, except for "HD" radio that is broadcast as a side signal. Here in Wisconsin, public radio has a classical HD stream. But I dont own a tuner that can do that. We do get one afternoon a week (Sunday) of classical on WMSE 91.7. Wou can pick up both of those streams off the stations websites. WMSE is also the only station that plays the blues, jazz, and 78rpm era music around here.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

re: Cleveland Radio

Sandy- excellent post in describing the state of radio broadcasting today.

We are fortunate in Cincinnati to have a few really good public stations. WMKV is owned by a Senior Citizen foundation and is staffed by some very dedicated players who have been around Cincinnati Broadcasting for a while. They have "block-Programming" and there is almost always something interesting on.
They did a documentary about WLW broadcasting on SuperPower back in the '30's that was very interesting and incredibly well done.

Our classical radio station has pretty good coverage throughout SW Ohio, which ain't easy given all of the hills that surround Cincinnati.

AM Radio in this town is pretty much un-listenable (imho), which is a shame, considering the contribution that Cincinnati made to the Broadcast Arts. We do have one oldies station on AM, which doesn't get out very far, and forget about night reception. It is staffed by a few local broadcast legends for m "back in the day", but on the weekends it is pretty much sporting events.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:37 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet64 View Post
Sandy- excellent post in describing the state of radio broadcasting today.

We are fortunate in Cincinnati to have a few really good public stations. WMKV is owned by a Senior Citizen foundation and is staffed by some very dedicated players who have been around Cincinnati Broadcasting for a while. They have "block-Programming" and there is almost always something interesting on.
They did a documentary about WLW broadcasting on SuperPower back in the '30's that was very interesting and incredibly well done.

Our classical radio station has pretty good coverage throughout SW Ohio, which ain't easy given all of the hills that surround Cincinnati.

AM Radio in this town is pretty much un-listenable (imho), which is a shame, considering the contribution that Cincinnati made to the Broadcast Arts. We do have one oldies station on AM, which doesn't get out very far, and forget about night reception. It is staffed by a few local broadcast legends for m "back in the day", but on the weekends it is pretty much sporting events.
The classical music station in Cincinnati is still there probably because the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was not built in that city. The minute that hideous-looking monstrosity opened for business in the late 1980s in downtown Cleveland, every FM radio station in the city switched to rock and roll from whatever format they were playing at the time, which promptly ruined FM radio in this area forever. That garbage gives FM radio a very bad name, IMHO. Things were an awful lot better when rock and roll stayed where it belongs, on the AM radio dial, and FM had all the good music stations.

I have several FM radios in my apartment, but I don't use them much anymore because of the trash broadcast over every station in my area; it is a shame, since most of my FM radios are older Zeniths that were built for high fidelity. Rock and roll, especially today's version of it, is not worthy of being played over any FM radio station because it is nowhere near hi-fi--it is just noise.

This is not why FM radio, and later stereo FM radio, was invented decades ago. Mr. Armstrong, the inventor of the frequency modulation system, intended the medium to be high fidelity. He would probably be spinning in his grave today if he could hear what has become of FM radio since the late '40s; once again, the trash that is carried over today's FM radio in every city in the nation is anything but hi-fi.

BTW, you said AM radio in the Cincinnati area is "unlistenable". It is the same in northeastern Ohio. All we have here on AM anymore are talk stations, none of which I care to listen to. This is why I gave up on AM long ago and, for reasons I mentioned above, I am about to quit listening to FM as well. I have my own hand-picked collection of cassettes and CDs here, mostly instrumental music, so there is little reason for me to bother with radio these days.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 10-13-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Why don't you guys just download a copy of itunes they come with a button to play
internet radio, they have stations from all over the place, and it's divided into all
kinds of topics, areas, you name it. I get a bunch of 80's rock, glam, classic rock,
geezz they have tons of stuff..... And it's F R E E ! ! ! Play it on yer computer, and
output it to yer speakers.... I play it on my laptop and run it through a nice big
set of old computer speakers.... BIG old, better than modern speakers.... Nice &
loud ! ! Rock & Roll Loud ! ! Head banging loud ! !

Last edited by Username1; 10-13-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Rock and roll, especially today's version of it...
I didn't know there was any current "rock 'n roll". I thought everything put out over the last decade or more was under completely different classifications.

When did the "rock 'n roll" era officially end?

Audiokarma
Old 10-14-2015, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
I didn't know there was any current "rock 'n roll". I thought everything put out over the last decade or more was under completely different classifications.

When did the "rock 'n roll" era officially end?

IMHO, There was no "official" end, but a gradual fade out to other types of Rock in the late 50s - early to mid 60s. Some factors include an unfortunate airplane crash (See the Day the Music Died), the "payola" scandals of the late 50s and the rise of popularity of higher quality broadcasting on FM which included more AOR (Album Oriented Rock).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Music_Died
Stations that play "Rock and Roll" usually don't play much (if anything) beyond the 60s, and IMHO, it is wrong to refer to the later music as Rock and Roll.

jr
Old 10-14-2015, 02:01 PM
<----Zenith C845

Finally, I found an Internet radio station that plays easy listening music. It's called "The Breeze" and it originates from Crown Point, Indiana, near Chicago. Its website is www.thebreez.com. ("Breez" is not a typo; that is how the URL must be entered in your browser in order that the site will work.)

I've been looking for years for a radio station that still plays this kind of music, in an era where almost every commercial OTA FM radio station in the country is playing rock. Thank goodness for Internet stations like The Breeze! This station is a breath of fresh air, believe me. I'm listening to it as I type this, and I couldn't be happier, knowing that there is an escape from that infernal rock stuff. They have made some improvements to their Internet stream as well, which improves the sound 100 percent when listening on tablets and other devices with low-fidelity audio systems; the sound is just wonderful if you listen to the stream on a good stereo system.

http://www.thebreez.com

Old 10-14-2015, 02:06 PM
<----Zenith C845

Finally, I found an Internet radio station that plays easy listening music. It's called "The Breeze" and it originates from Crown Point, Indiana, near Chicago. Its website is www.thebreez.com. ("Breez" is not a typo; that is how the URL must be entered in your browser in order that the site will work.)

I've been looking for years for a radio station that still plays this kind of music, in an era where almost every commercial OTA FM radio station in the country is playing rock. Thank goodness for Internet stations like The Breeze! This station is a breath of fresh air, believe me. I'm listening to it as I type this, and I couldn't be happier, knowing that there is an escape from that infernal rock stuff. They have made some improvements to their Internet stream as well, which improves the sound 100 percent when listening on tablets and other devices with low-fidelity audio systems; the sound is just wonderful if you listen to the stream on a good stereo system.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:43 PM
DTV blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Hmmmmpf... You guys oughta be stuck here in Greater Bugtussle... You have a choice of stations that play BOTH "Country AND Western", sports talk-why ANYONE would wanna hear a couple of drunks drone on & on & ON about Last Week's BIG game, until the NEXT Big 'Un, this Sat'day, right after lunch, & the rabid Bible Beaters, who, when calm reasoning doesn't make you wanna Believe, they'll switch to MAKING you believe by shouting & SCARING you w/tales of Heckfar & Brimstone ad nauseum... Oh, yeah, and we DO have "Classic Rawk 'n' Role", which means you get to hear "Maggie May", by Rod, "Stairway to Heaven", & a few other worn-out hits from 40 odd yrs ago, over & over & OVER.. We DO have a few college stations that will screw up & have interesting fodder, ever so often, but the LAW on College stations is that you will be undoubtedly at least ONE mile beyond their maximum range, or there will be a slightly smaller version of Mount Killimanjaro between you & said station..
If that's what I had to listen to on the radio, I'd be tempted to do this:
Old 10-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The oldies stations in Milwaukee, have changed their format slightly. The FM station started playing 80's and newer tunes.
The AM station, the same firm owns, plays 50's to 70's music, but they reduce their power at night. They similcast on FM, but it's a real weak transmitter and I can't receive it, 40 miles out of Milwaukee. It's even poor in some areas in Milwaukee county.
The oldest FM station in Milwaukee, WFMR was classical music for at least 40+ years. Too classical AFAIC, but they changed formats, 15 or 20 years ago.
It's all about the money and the ratings.
I know, it is amazing how the definition of "oldies" has changed, basically that category is now 1980's music for the most part. One oldies station in Pittsburgh plays a lot of 1970's/1980's music although some 1990's creep in, most notably Ricky Martin's first song.
Audiokarma
Old 10-30-2015, 12:20 AM
radiodayz

For classical music web streams, I highly recommend KING.org (out of Seattle) and WWFM.org (Mercer County, NJ). For classical and jazz, WRTI.org (Philadelphia). For jazz, WBGO.org (Newark, NJ). For all kinds of bizarro music and spoken-word stuff, WFMU.org.
Also, don't forget your local public library can be a great music source (CDs). If your local public library doesn't have what you want, they may be able to arrange an inter-library loan with nearby cities or towns.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another good Classical station with a Northwest flavor is KQAC in Portland:

http://www.allclassical.org

I quite often record the overnight program (2 to 6 am) on my ipad for later consumption. The stream sounds very good on decent speakers or headphones.

jr

ps: check out the "tili-cam" for a live peek at Portland rain

Last edited by jr_tech; 10-30-2015 at 12:55 PM. Reason: add ps
Old 10-30-2015, 01:08 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodayz View Post
For classical music web streams, I highly recommend KING.org (out of Seattle) and WWFM.org (Mercer County, NJ). For classical and jazz, WRTI.org (Philadelphia). For jazz, WBGO.org (Newark, NJ). For all kinds of bizarro music and spoken-word stuff, WFMU.org.
Also, don't forget your local public library can be a great music source (CDs). If your local public library doesn't have what you want, they may be able to arrange an inter-library loan with nearby cities or towns.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. However, I cannot use any of them since I cannot hear any of the radio stations you mention. I live 3000 miles from Seattle, and 500+ miles from the other two cities mentioned in your post. There is no way I could ever receive any FM radio stations from any of those areas, short of physically moving my residence; commercial FM radio does not have that kind of range, except under unusual (and always temporary) propagation conditions. As I mentioned in my original post, the last time I ever heard a commercial FM radio station over 1000 miles from my home was in the '70s, when a local station was knocked off the air by lightning; the station I heard was from West Palm Beach, Florida, and I was using only a cheap AM-FM-FM-stereo radio with a telescoping antenna at the time. I never heard the station again after that.

The nature of FM radio is such that the signals only have very limited range, usually under 30 miles. Reception beyond this distance is generally impossible except under very unusual propagation conditions.

The radio stations' names plus "dot org" (except one I will mention shortly) mean nothing to me. I am looking for actual radio stations that play something other than the rock and roll crap that Cleveland has been preoccupied with for over sixty years, and I mean radio stations that broadcast over the air, not these poor excuses for radio stations that pretend to "broadcast" over the Internet. The only Internet "radio station" I care to listen to these days is "The Breeze", an easy-listening online station based in Crown Point, Indiana, near Chicago, as I stated in my original post. Because I live nowhere near Indiana or Chicago, this station's Internet stream is the only way I can hear the station; however, I am happy to be able to hear some other kind of music than that infernal rock crap that has all but ruined FM radio in northeastern Ohio. Mister Armstrong, the founder of FM radio, would probably be shocked beyond belief if he knew what has become of the medium that is FM radio, which was intended to be used for hi-fi music broadcasting. Today's rock music is, let's face it, anything but high fidelity; it is nothing but noise. I am so put out with the mess that is FM radio these days that I hardly even listen to the radio anymore, even though I have several Zenith AM-FM high-fidelity radios (and a good bookshelf stereo system) in my apartment.

Kids today are ruining their hearing by listening at full volume over fancy car stereo systems to this noise called rock "music" (I live on the main street of a small town 35 miles outside Cleveland, but I still hear this garbage blasting from cars every day of the year--it is as if I never left the suburbs), but that's material for another thread.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

When a real terrestrial station has a "listen live" button on their website, it's been my experience that it faithfully tracks what's actually on the air from that station. It's just piped into the website, also. Don't really see where that fails the test of being a "real" radio station. It's just not coming to you over radio.

Regarding multiple streams... Many local stations air whole programming blocks that are not actually being produced at that moment. Does that make them any less of a radio station? Probably not.

Want to exercise your radio? Get some old laptops, some RF modulators, and populate your own radio dial with the real, live broadcasted content from throughout the country, in the privacy of your own home.

Not good enough? Then rig a group of tuners to drive streaming media servers, plant them around the country thru the good graces of VK members, and point your browser or internet radio re-broadcaster at their address, and listen away. Your own personal audio extension cord. (And if you think that digital link will sully the otherwise pristine analog signal of station WXYZ, well... I would bet they've all got digital links somewhere in the chain.)

Don't like what Cleveland has to offer? Yelling at us (again) isn't going to help.
Organize big spenders in your demographic, and approach the advertisers about pressuring stations to air content targeted towards your demographic. (You know, let the marketplace decide.) Or, use that info to start your own radio station. Go low-power hyper-local at first, and expand when those big bucks start flowing in.
If the marketplace has already decided ( <--- this) then you must accept your fate, effect change, or move.

Haven't even touched on subscription radio, or YouTube/Pandora/Apple/Whoever'sNotBeenSuedYet playlists, or the multitude of commercial-free, themed audio-only channels on the "end" of the DirecTV dial. But they don't qualify as "radio" because some terrestrial station isn't co-broadcasting them at the same time? Or is it because there are no commercials? No nasal-voiced, bombastic announcer or bubbly, copter-rific traffic updates? No overprocessed Orban Opti-Mod compressor pumping? Or is it the lure dulcet FSK tones* of the unexpected emergency broadcast notification system test? Hard to tell...

One could also cue up an LP, CD, etc. every now and then, just for the challenge.

In other words, do something, or don't. The "kids these days" rant will always be unproductive without action.

So, disregarding my pent-up hyperbole above, what is it, exactly, you'd like us to do about your situation? People have offered personal recommendations of good-sounding sources of a variety of mostly free music, mostly with the real, actual on-air feeds only a click away. None of them can do anything about what's become of Cleveland.

I think earlier in this thread there were links to the list of Cleveland stations, and their basic content. If stations have gone away, it's because Cleveland voted (with their lack of dollars) to listen to something else. The model is: radio stations exist to deliver an audience to an advertiser. Public radio breaks that mold, but relies even more on "voting with dollars". Like in politics, if you don't vote, don't complain.

Chip

*I know, they use something else now...

Last edited by Chip Chester; 10-30-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
If that's what I had to listen to on the radio, I'd be tempted to do this:
DON'T think that I haven't CONSIDERED that- It would make too big of a damn Mess, & knowin' MY luck, I'd be a Vegetable, unable to move, talk or ANYTHING, for the next 40-50 yrs... My people tend to live a LONG time. My Dad was 84 when he checked out, my Mom was 84-85 when we said "Buh-Bye" to her. One Granny lived til 103, my Dad's mother was born in 1898, died in 2002. Fritz, my dad, Henry's father, was born in 1897, died 1989. He was from Dayton, knew Wilbur & Orville, washed the plane for 'em once, anyway, & got taken up over the farm he was born on. They later built part of Wright-Pat AFB on that farm. Fritz's uncle was some sort of high muckedty muck W/Frigidaire, he got in a cussfight w/the guys who had a little money, & they ran him off. He SUPPOSEDLY worked at Wright-Pat later on, on a BIG HVAC system they had there.