Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

19" Curtis Mathes from '78...a $1 estate sale find

Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of Curtis-Mathes TV's and some of them were the most overpriced, overrated junk that was made; but, when I saw this 19" color set from '78 at an estate sale for $1, I felt sorry for it and adopted it.

I have not pulled the back; but, it looks like it was made by NEC and when I fired it up, it still has a bright raster with good grey scale; so, we know the tube is good. This set is fairly heavy and might turn out to be decent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stereo stuff 012.jpg (54.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg stereo stuff 013.jpg (72.5 KB, 92 views)
Old 06-27-2021, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I opened it up and it indeed uses an NEC chassis, with lots of cigarette paste.

The TV fires up; but, the vertical is shrunken a bit, the purity and convergence is off, and there are some other issues.

The TV was made in November of '78; but, the CRT is date-coded the 22nd week of '79 and is a 19VJQP22 CM-badged RCA (EIA 274). That tells me that this set most likely got a CRT replacement under warranty.

Oddly enough, this set has "instant on" and this is the newest set I've seen with that feature. I will disable it, when I fix the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kenwood KT-5500 030.jpg (108.5 KB, 97 views)
Old 09-10-2021, 11:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post

The TV fires up; but, the vertical is shrunken a bit, the purity and convergence is off, and there are some other issues.

The TV was made in November of '78; but, the CRT is date-coded the 22nd week of '79 and is a 19VJQP22 CM-badged RCA (EIA 274). That tells me that this set most likely got a CRT replacement under warranty.

Oddly enough, this set has "instant on" and this is the newest set I've seen with that feature. I will disable it, when I fix the set.
Howdy, I love your YouTube videos, and I hope you make a repair video out of this TV, would be interesting to see how you go about disabling the "instant on" feature and also how you go about figuring out if a TV has "instant on" or not.

I had adopted a 1974 GTE/Sylvania 25" Console Color TV from 1974 from its original owners and I was wondering if that TV would of had "instant on" or not and how to figure that out.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:21 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Howdy, I love your YouTube videos, and I hope you make a repair video out of this TV, would be interesting to see how you go about disabling the "instant on" feature and also how you go about figuring out if a TV has "instant on" or not.

I had adopted a 1974 GTE/Sylvania 25" Console Color TV from 1974 from its original owners and I was wondering if that TV would of had "instant on" or not and how to figure that out.
Look at the power switch. If it's a 2 wire switch It's NOT instant on, if the switch has more wires it's probably an instant on.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-10-2021, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
The quickest test would be to plug the set into your Kill a watt meter... if the set draws power when turned off, it likely has a instant on circuit that is activated.

jr
Audiokarma
Old 10-18-2021, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post

So, it followed ya home?