Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I believe you should have seen a notice that the coupons will not be sent out until boxes become available in your area.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

think of it this way, its kinda like a uhf converter box for a vhf only tv....kinof a piece of history.

maybe not but it helps me sleep at night.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I thought the deal with the coupons was not that you couldn't get an adapter without it, but that it allowed you to get a $40 discount. Am I wrong?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've 11011862 as of 10:58 pm 1/3/08
Old 01-03-2008, 11:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

#1012924 on 04-Jan-2008 12:13 AM EDT
Audiokarma
Old 01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkand View Post
I thought the deal with the coupons was not that you couldn't get an adapter without it, but that it allowed you to get a $40 discount. Am I wrong?
You are correct
Old 01-05-2008, 09:30 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg6 View Post
Nothing much yet about the TV's is posted on the website, but take a look. It has taken a LONG time to get to this stage in the history of our facility. Hope you can visit soon.
www.nationalcommunicationsmuseum.org.
Kevin
I did get to visit the museum today via a quick round trip on Amtrak; although I had little time between trains and therefore little time there, your CT-100 was very impressive in its performance. Your gray scale tracking was envious. Sorry to have missed you.

Pete
Old 01-05-2008, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have applied for the coupons, # 1219729. (Sat. Jan. 5th)
The antenna blew down at my house and I have not re-installed it since I got DirectTV 4 years ago or so...am looking forward to getting the better quality of digital plus the sub-channels especially on public television. (I was never able to get all that great over-the-air analog reception but I'm thinking there is enough signal strength for digital).
Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Hi Pete,

Thanks! We are in line for 2. Our CTC-5 and 1962 Zenith thank you for more good years.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Coupons Not required

I've never heard that those coupons are required to get a converter; if you want to pay full price you can get one as they become available at any time; now if you want that $40 discount then thats where you need the coupon. I understand they will have only so many coupons available--they budgeted a certain amount for all this. If I'm wrong someone can correct. if people dilly-dally around and miss the coupon offer then they'll have to pay full price and I'm sure there will be thousands who don't have a clue and will make a big stink about it come FEB. 2009----can't wait for all the whiners to make themselves heard.
Audiokarma
Old 01-07-2008, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Something tells me that most of the people who actually need the coupons don't even know what a web page is.

How have people answered the question about whether you use cable, or an antenna? It seems logical that if you say you use cable, they will put you at the bottom of the list.
Pretty sure it's first come first served. That's why they provide the reference numbers. Nowhere have I read that those who check "antenna" will go to the head of the line.

-Steve D.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
How have people answered the question about whether you use cable, or an antenna?
I answered with the truth... I use only an antenna for my TV signals. (Well, I do have a C-band satellite dish with digital and analog reception and a Ku dish with MPEG/DVB receiver, but I assume those don't count. I do not pay for any signals these dishes receive.)

There will be, I think, 11 million "coupons" (actually credit/gift-type cards) in Round 1 of the program, available to anyone who asks. Round 2 coupons will only be available to people who have not recently subscribed to cable or satellite TV.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-08-2008, 07:24 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

May not be too easy to find at first, but...

Washington, D.C. (January 7, 2008) -- EchoStar today announced that it will sell a Digital TV converter box for $39.99.

At that price, consumers could buy a converter box with a $40 coupon provided by the federal government without having to spend their own money.

I'll bet other sellers will market $40 converters also.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am begining to get questions about the set top boxes at the store now. The problem is that so far we have no set top boxes, at any price, at our Wal-Mart. Nor do we have any current way to redeem the coupons if we had the merchandise. Our electronics department will reset in April or May, and we may have some on the new plan. Problem is the coupons may have expierd before we have any boxes to sell.
Charter is telling customers it is going all digital, but I suspect you will need their converter box, knowing how greedy they are. Customers are thinking they will need the retail set top box the comercials are talking about, even though they have cable.

Bill R
Audiokarma