Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Toshiba settings?

Toshiba 32Z17B. Well, I've truly screwed this up. Picture was good but Para and Trap were both a bit off and linearity was stretched above and below center. Perhaps the set had a different model number in the USA but it's a 30 inch flat screen, all manner of sound settings including 4 Channel Dolby from its own built in amplifier. It's got a user adjustable Tint control but this has no effect on signals from either digibox or DVD player.

I got into the service menu and onto the crosshatch (the set has a built in crosshatch generator) and somehow somewhere must have pressed the wrong button and got into a sub menu. By the time I realised what I'd done I was well beyond the point of no return.

CINEMA, SUPER LIVE and SUBTITLE are OK, but 4:3 and WIDSCREEN are as we say in the U.K., completely and utterly bollixed. On 4:3 and WIDESCREEN trying to find normal controls such as width etc end up with distorted numbers and letters part visible at the top of the screen. I don't recognise any of them; maybe it's still locked into a sub menu. Unplugging the set for a while doesn't cure it; would doing this lock the new settings in?

Does anyone know if there's a manufacturers default setting and if there is, how I get into it? I know it's old technology but in its day it was top line; over £700 new. I bought it second hand for £35 including delivery so I'm not complaining, I'd just like to get it set up properly. It's got a superbly well focused display, almost 3D.

Adjustments are in two sections, changes to 4:3 and WIDESCREEN have minimal effect on the other settings. Luckily I was on WIDESCREEN when I screwed things up.

Any chance of help, or have I got a last generation CRT boat anchor? Damn shame, I hate screwing things up.

Last edited by Combwork; 02-23-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Success.

OK, maybe a bit chancy but without altering the colour controls I brought most of the others down to 0.0000 and gradually brought them up.

Good picture, geometry ain't perfect but if it was like this when I bought it I'd not have complained.

Strange thing. There's always been sharp focus and depth to the picture. Uncanny sometimes. In comparing modern flat screen to CRT flat screen is this common?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Tint is a phasing adjustment in the analog color demodulation circuitry, digital inputs are set in stone and that analog circuitry is idle during digital viewing. I would imagine it's been idled for good, unless you're using an old gaming system that delivers its signal to the antenna input...
Old 03-03-2013, 05:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

UK Spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar72 View Post
Tint is a phasing adjustment in the analog color demodulation circuitry, digital inputs are set in stone and that analog circuitry is idle during digital viewing. I would imagine it's been idled for good, unless you're using an old gaming system that delivers its signal to the antenna input...
Tint's not really an issue here, even in the analogue days few if any sets had a tint control on the front. All U.K. TV stations have switched to digital only, but the DVD player is a combined DVD/VCR. I'll try tonight; see if there's any effect on video tape.

We had a first generation broadcast set made in 1966. (not working when we bought it for £15). Dual standard, 405 line VHF, 625 line UHF. Valve driven. Colour and tint controls at the back. Take the back off and the first thing you see is a very large metal can with a radiation symbol.

Full convergence controls were at the front under a cover. With careful adjustment it could be set up nicely. Problem was that it drifted and I think a lot of the controls were wire wound, felt rough when adjusted.

After catching fire for the third time my wife insisted that it went, so it went. She had a point. Now it's in a museum. Perhaps we should have hung onto it but then again, perhaps not.