Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

SONY KV-36HS420 Convergence question

Without taking the back off my question is do you adjust convergence on one of these sets from inside or do you have to go through some sort of service code / service menu and use the up down buttons on the front or remote to do this ?

mike

Last edited by kramden66; 03-24-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

You need to take the back off. This manual might not be a perfect match but I'd bet it's close enough, jump to page 27 for convergence.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/135389122/...and-other-DA-4
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM
<----Zenith C845

Every color TV I've ever seen (until my last two CRT sets) has had the dynamic convergence board mounted such that the back had to be removed to get to it. I've never yet seen a color set with the dynamic convergence controls in on-screen menus, although I think it would be possible. I have an RCA CTC185A7 19" table TV with no conventional convergence board (I only saw the inside of the set once, when I had a repair done on the chassis for a broken RF antenna port). That set may well have on-screen convergence controls, but I'm by no means certain. When flat screens replaced CRTs, of course, the convergence panel disappeared since it was no longer needed.

Don't think someone has left something out just because the traditional convergence board and its adjustments are missing, and don't look for an on-screen service menu. These are hidden in today's flat screens (accessible only to service technicians), since a misadjustment of even one control could severely damage or destroy the TV in an instant. (My Insignia 19" FS HDTV is set up this way; no consumer access whatsoever to any of the OS menus.) The CRT sets from the '90s to the end of the NTSC era were designed the same way, to prevent indiscriminate and possibly damaging tinkering by curious set owners.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-11-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 PM
The lead ear.

I have seen, and actually still have, PC monitors with electronic controls for convergence. I've always wondered how it actually worked.