Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Grossly overpriced "Edenpure" electric space heater.

Just for S&G's, I picked up an Edenpure 5000 BTU space heater at the thrift, I generally haunt. I just wanted to see, why fools would pay close to $400 for an electric space heater, with the same heat output as a $20.00 unit.
I plugged it in and it produced a little heat. It turns out, that it uses three quartz tubes for the heat source. Two are blown. The only good one looks like it's ready to blow.
There's various replacements, on Eplace. The cheaper Chinese KO's look better than the originals and a lot cheaper.
I'm not going to repair it right away, possibly never!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am a bit confused by what this is, so I looked it up... all I can say is anyone who goofed off in school so much that they don't understand the concept behind the first law of thermodynamics (i.e. conservation of energy), deserves to be ripped off by this kind of thing. Frankly I am surprised this company has sold even one of these things!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Do they still make this style? They worked the best.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post

+1 on that

The ones I don't like are the small ones with noisy fans. Or the plastic ones which smell like an organic chemistry lab when they get nice and warm
Old 12-21-2015, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you want heat in a hurry, the pictured one will do the trick. I have one similar that's about 40 years old, American Hardware, made by McGraw-Edison, I think. Works great. I'm a real fan of the radiator style, too. I'm amazed at how long Eden Pure and their ilk have hung on in the market. I think of all those fake fireplaces and "Amish" heaters.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:29 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Arent the radiator style ones real energy pigs?

SR
Old 12-21-2015, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

the radiator style heaters are good for heating a whole room to a constant temperature the fan ones are good for pointing some extra heat at yourself in a large room. I like both for their respective applications too. It's a shame electricity isn't cheaper, electric heat is great.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:05 PM
M is for Memory

Had a 70's one that size...Twas the straw that blew the cabin's fuses one winter trip there...They were hidden in a junction box, and we could not find them....The relatives that did had a fun time since the fuses melted into their sockets when they went.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-21-2015, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

I saw one of these types of heaters at the Salvation Army a few weeks back, it was a Toastmaster/McGraw-Edison model from the 1960s I believe, I thought about picking it up but then my housemate would of thrown a fit.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

Seems that they still have them on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-C...radiant+heater

not affiliated,
jr
Audiokarma
Old 12-21-2015, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi I have old electric wall heaters that the former owners of my house had put installed in the fifties when the boiler went south heaters were made by Hunter they still heat up the rooms great..Timothy
Old 12-22-2015, 09:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post
Arent the radiator style ones real energy pigs?

SR
1500 watts is still 1500 watts, no matter, which way it's used.
The radiator types are fine for enclosed areas, as they depend strictly on convection currents. I used one, set at 750 watts to keep an area above freezing.
You generally find them at garage sales, cheap as they're not very popular.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
If you want heat in a hurry, the pictured one will do the trick. I have one similar that's about 40 years old, American Hardware, made by McGraw-Edison, I think. Works great. I'm a real fan of the radiator style, too. I'm amazed at how long Eden Pure and their ilk have hung on in the market. I think of all those fake fireplaces and "Amish" heaters.
Another, all show, no go fancy wood end table style, I have is one I picked up on trash day, near my home.
The thing is in real nice condition. The only thing, that was wrong was the AC plug and U ground adaptor was all burnt up. The plug and receptacle, must've been in flames. How they let this thing run without smelling the burning wiring is hard to believe. It was the neutral terminal.
All it needed was a replacement plug.
One reason, the code now requires arc-fault breakers in most areas of the home, as an ordinary breaker, even a GFI breaker, won't detect this fault.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:51 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
1500 watts is still 1500 watts, no matter, which way it's used.
This is the most important thing to remember with electric heaters.

ALL of them will create the SAME amount of heat for the SAME number of watts consumed through the power cord. Some will do it faster, others will do it quieter (generally, the only reason to ever consider the "radiator-style" ones, which otherwise are more expensive and heavier than ordinary fan-and-filament ones). Others are "prettier", if that matters (Amish fireplace-style, anyone, if you want a $400 appliance to do a $40 job?). And, some are easy to use and easy to set to a known temperature each time you use them. But, NONE are "more efficient" than any others.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-22-2015, 09:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

My wife likes to use a little fan-forced heater in the fall/spring when we don't have the pellet stove running. My mother-in-law went out and bought her a brand new one because it would be "more efficient". Of course, the old one is only 8 or 9 years old...and they both consume the same 1500 watts as something from the 50's.