Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:01 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I trimmed my collection back a bit, and I now run a Kenwood TS-450 and a Yaesu FT-990 primarily.

The old stuff was great to play with, but now having joined Army MARS and being a digital traffic station for Radio Relay International, I needed something with a much tighter VFO than tube gear could do.
As much as I love my vintage tube gear, and I really do, this Icom IC-7300 is the most stunning radio I've ever used in my entire life. Full direct sampling SDR radio, DSP, filters, etc., etc..

And the waterfall display is unbelievable. I keep hearing hams complaining that "the bands are sure dead tonight", while I'm looking at 10 different signals within +/- 20 kHz.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:04 AM
Administrator

I've been considering just spending the coin for a new radio, but I'd like to get something that has a built in digital modem for HF. Is there such a rig? What are you running antenna wise?
Old 04-08-2018, 09:01 AM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

I'm running a MyAntennas 80-10 EFHW. It's not the best setup, I'm only at about 20' in the middle, and it's not a straight inverted v, it's in an L shape. But, I've managed to work Hawaii, Japan, Brazil, and Australia. Haven't worked anybody in Europe, can't ever manage to get through the pileups of 1.5 kw flamethrowers.

I haven't gotten into digital yet, but I'm really interested. I'm not sure what you mean by a "digital modem". You have to use a pc to run whatever software you need, and if your radio doesn't have a built in sound card, then you use the sound card in the pc or else an outboard one. Lots of good vids on youtube.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Not true. I use a TNC modem for digital currently....a Kantronics KAM Plus. About the least expensive PACTOR modem you can get that actually still works on modern digital traffic systems.

I don't personally care for that hokey microphone connection for digital, so I bought a SignaLink USB that will hook into the data port on my TS-450. Yeah, it's kind of the same thing in a way, but it's not. I just wanted to upgrade my system to 21st century tech for digital as the KAM modems are old enough to drink alcohol. It just came in the mail Friday, and I've had a busy weekend so I plan to play with that over the next couple days.

I just put up an HF vertical, a Hy-Gain AV-18AVQII and the jury's still out on that one. I have to pull it down this afternoon to make a couple repairs to the guying that got damaged in a recent windstorm.

You can see pics on my antenna on my QRZ page, N2LCJ. The pics are 6 months old....I really have to get in there and update them.

My antenna pics are there as well. I've worked the world with these. Awesome setup and the easiest install ever, in any sort of conditions:

https://www.k1cra.com/ProductDetails...de=HAMINATORJR
Old 04-08-2018, 11:01 AM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

A friend of mine uses a SignaLink. He loves it. He said it's so much simpler to connect than trying to use the sound card.

I'm really just getting started with antennas. The EFHW is a good start for me, because I'm dealing with CC&R's plus WAF. Luckily I have a two story house with a steep pitch roof, and a wood framed chimney that's on the back side of the house. I'm thinking I can put up a 40-10 vertical and you won't even be able to see anything but the tip from the street. Plus, I'm going to get my friend over to hold the bottom of the ladder, and I think I can get the middle of the EFHW up to almost 30'. Every little bit helps!