Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM
go big or go home

update: identifying this magnavox combo please model ?37686

sorry for the lousy pic, it's the best they used on cl.

I exchanged some texts with her today. Apparently, the tv is out of commission.

DAte, year? Tube? Color set? again, sorry for the bad pic, she sounds like
she will let it go for cheap, but it is quite a drive for me, was trying to find out more about it before i went out.

Last edited by technicolor; 03-16-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Late '60's color combo. Vacuum tube TV, solid state stereo chassis. Weighs a ton. The only way I can ID it is by looking at the record changer.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM
sampson159

looks late 60s to me too.these have fantastic stereos!they will rock the house.the television is pretty decent quality also.cabinets are extremely heavy and it will take 6 men and a boy to lift and load.high quality and expensive back in the day.good luck
Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Heavy sets. Trust us. I had one in my shop for several weeks repairing urine damage on the PC boards... Kid peed in the back of the TV... thought it was funny.

I used parts from a junker chassis that I luckily had. Washed the chassis with a hose and let it sit in an oven... on low heat... for a day to dry it out.

After we got it running, it smelled like hot pee for several days. Happily, the owner came and got it. Big hulking cabinet very much like this one, with the same turntable.

And yes, it rattled the windows in our shop. Took 4 of us to lift it onto the bench.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
Heavy sets. Trust us. I had one in my shop for several weeks repairing urine damage on the PC boards... Kid peed in the back of the TV... thought it was funny.

I used parts from a junker chassis that I luckily had. Washed the chassis with a hose and let it sit in an oven... on low heat... for a day to dry it out.

After we got it running, it smelled like hot pee for several days. Happily, the owner came and got it. Big hulking cabinet very much like this one, with the same turntable.

And yes, it rattled the windows in our shop. Took 4 of us to lift it onto the bench.

Picking it up tomorrow. And I'll just mention in advance, i will have 87 million stupid questions about the tv. She's settling for a pittance for the thing, but i'm sure sure the tv is kaput. She's assured me the turntable and receiver work fine.
Audiokarma
Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Nice set from what I can tell. Interesting cabinet style. I'm kind of partial to aircraft carriers (I already have three), and look forward to seeing some decent pix.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:10 AM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_volt View Post
Nice set from what I can tell. Interesting cabinet style. I'm kind of partial to aircraft carriers (I already have three), and look forward to seeing some decent pix.
Can u still find them in your neck of the woods? Full size combo consoles, or any pre 80' console?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

They turn up more frequently that you would expect. I acquired my 1965 Zenith roundie color combo console about 8 months ago, my 1964 Magnavox roundie color combo console last October, and my RCA CTC17X rectangular color combo console about 5 weeks ago. I've also scored quite a few roundie color consoles without the radio and record player. I've posted them in some of the threads on this site.