Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:36 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Well sure DVR's are nice, when the show you want to see is in your package. I tried watching Mythbusters on Demand, and it worked perfectly with no commercials all of one time. When I tried again tonight, at each break, they hastily jammed in the same string of infuriating commercials just to piss me off with no option of fast forwarding. That's why I'm hell bent on keeping an arsenal of vintage VCR's and blank VHS tapes. I don't care what kind of VCR you have, it WILL fast forward, so when the corrupt cable companies take away your ability fast forward in the DVR, I'll still be able to fast forward the old school way.

Last edited by TUD1; 04-16-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Well sure DVR's are nice, when the show you want to see is in your package. I tried watching Mythbusters on Demand, and it worked perfectly with no commercials all of one time. When I tried again tonight, at each break, they hastily jammed in the same string of infuriating commercials just to piss me off with no option of fast forwarding. That's why I'm hell bent on keeping an arsenal of vintage VCR's and blank VHS tapes. I don't care what kind of VCR you have, it WILL fast forward, so when the corrupt cable companies take away your ability fast forward in the DVR, I'll still be able to fast forward the old school way.
On demand is pretty much worthless because as you point out, they block you from fast forwarding. I'm saying you need to use a DVR to record your shows when they air. For example, I like to watch America's Funniest Home Videos. My DVR is programmed to automatically record every episode that plays. ABC Family, TBS, WGN America, and a few others occasionally show AFV, and my DVR records from all of these channels. Whenever I feel like watching an episode, I just choose from my library of recordings. Xfinity let's me fast forward through recordings, but not on demand content. That's why I have a low tolerance for on demand and hardly use it anymore. Your VCRs will do the exact same thing as a DVR, just a little bit less automatically. You have to check the listings for Mythbusters or whatever, set your VCR to record at the proper time, and leave the directv box on the correct channel.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:48 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAge View Post
On demand is pretty much worthless because as you point out, they block you from fast forwarding.
I don't necessarily think on-demand video is "worthless", as you put it; it does have its uses, especially if you don't have a VCR or DVR. I have a Roku player (Roku 2) with On Demand, and it works well for me. It came in handy about a week ago, when I wanted to watch an episode of Chicago Med on NBC but missed it when it originally aired.

The inability to skip commercials with OD programming is a necessary evil, as the networks do not want viewers to ignore them (they are, after all, what keep the shows on the air). In fact, if they could do it and it were legal, I am almost certain the networks and local stations would find some way (via a special control signal in the vertical blanking interval, for example) to jam the mute function on TV remotes, forcing viewers to listen to the commercials as well as watch them.

Watching a program via OD is no different from standard TV--the commercials are still there, and the service forces viewers to tolerate them since, as you mentioned (there is almost always a disclaimer to this effect before an OD show begins), there is no way to get around them by using fast-forward, as you would with a VCR. The only way to deal with the commercials is to ignore them, as viewers have been doing for generations. I just press the mute button on my remote and look away from the screen, and unmute the sound when the program I'm watching resumes.

The only advantage OD offers is the ability to watch a certain program virtually any time after the program airs (shows are usually available for viewing OD for about a week or so, beginning the day after their initial showing on the network). The only way to completely skip the commercials is not to watch live TV (as VK member Wiscojim in Wisconsin mentioned in a recent post); tape your favorite shows and pause the tape when a commercial appears, or tape the entire show and fast-forward past the commercials.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-16-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Closed Thread