Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just came across a 1942 Zenith 14H697 console

I was fortunate to have come across this last week, and now contemplating restoration or sale to someone that knows their way around this type of work. I'm looking for advice to assess a start point to restore as I am new to this. The unit appears to be in pretty good shape and ripe for restoration. Also looking for valuation. I appreciate any feedback!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have one in a cut down cabinet w/o the phonograph. Wiring will be crumbling rubber sheathed. If I found one reasonably close to New Orleans I'd buy it, but you'll probably have to rewire most of the chassis.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Let me add that this is probably not what you want to tackle if you're new to the hobby. Fix some simpler sets first to learn your way around and get confortable.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

1942 Zenith 14H697 console

Thanks for the info and advice adubon. This unit is complete and your assumption about wiring is spot on. If I were to entertain selling this , what would you think would be best course to find qualified buyers? I'm also new to video karma and not sure if there are classifieds.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you were to sell this, you'd be better off selling it as-is to someone who would enjoy restoring it and keeping it. Properly restoring this set will be expensive and time consuming; thus, you may wind up with more money in it than you can get out of it. There are some expections, as far as making money on restored radios; but, for the most part, it's hard to make a profit on a restored vintage radio because people don't have a clue what all is involved and they think they should get it for a yard sale price.
Audiokarma