Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbattles View Post
I wonder if the tuner grounds been done on the board tuner. now if the grounds have not been addressed, it would cause the e prom voltage would go out of spec. it would cause it to go bad and it would make it do strange things.
Not on the 140 (or 168/169), which this should be for 1986 model year. The early '90s CTC 17X/18X/195/197 series had the tuner on board setup, and as you said, the tuner grounds (and heatsink grounds) would cause performance issues and eeprom corruption.

John
Old 12-27-2020, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

But that leaves the possability its cold joints on the tuner pkg
or other sub board.

BTW what is the chassis ## ? And hows about a few nudies of the chassis.

Lastly abt 2 months ago there was another RCA about the same vintage with the same looking problem. At first glance it looked like a weak jug or messy 200V. But it just didnt fit the bill. He was going to change the jungle
but got intimidate by the SMD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
Not on the 140 (or 168/169), which this should be for 1986 model year. The early '90s CTC 17X/18X/195/197 series had the tuner on board setup, and as you said, the tuner grounds (and heatsink grounds) would cause performance issues and eeprom corruption.

John
Old 12-27-2020, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Chasis # CTC177AM2. 1996 RCA Console TV Set.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's my mistake. I typed in 1986 Model. I have a 1996 Model.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User View Post
It's my mistake. I typed in 1986 Model. I have a 1996 Model.
OK, big difference. The advice Jbattles gave you then is correct on the 1996 years regarding the tuner grounds and eeprom corruption if allowed to go uncorrected. Also, the two solder tabs on the horiz output and LV regulator IC heatsinks must also be soldered or the eeprom will corrupt.

John
Audiokarma
Old 12-27-2020, 01:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes. My Tuner for the Coax/Cable is on the Main Board on the left side.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Service Menu Instructions

Does anyone know how to enter into the Service Menu for the 1996 RCA Model G25343WK? I would like to be able to get to the Bias and Drive Adjustments for the Red, Blue, & Green. I would like to be able to turn down the Blue a little and then tweak the others to see, if that helps with the Blue Blooming. The Blue Blooming is really noticeable around lettering, around the shoulder and collar areas of images that are in black. If you try to turn up the picture really high the blue just smears out. Issue with black lettering on certain white backgrounds. The Blue is the only color blooming out.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Picture Level Setting and Picture Quality

I have still been tweaking TV Adjustments. I turn down the Picture Level to try to keep the blue smearing to the least visible level as possible but still have a picture that looks appealing enough to still watch. I've noticed that even if I turn the Picture Level way down close to dim I can still see the blue smearing near the TV. Does that indicate if I turn the Picture Level way down and the Blue is still Blooming on the Picture that it is a weak picture tube or does this signal there is another issue in TV Set other than a faulty picture tube? I've had other RCA Sets before that if I experienced Color Bleed in one of the colors I could turn down the Picture Level and it would usually take care of the issue. However, in this particular set this doesn't seem to help me much at all.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

http://www.walshcomptech.com/repairf...une.htm#rcasuc

Write down all numbers before you make a change.
Dont touch tuner settings BUT do record them just in case.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep. I recorded all the numbers in the Bias and Drive Settings before changing them. I didn't go to the Tuner Settings. I just went to the Number V76. Here is the numbers what it was set at, followed by what I have them at now.

BIAS: Red-56; Green-46; Blue-45 Now set at In Order as listed before 56;40;35
Drive: Red-49; Green-39; Blue-36 Now set at In Order as listed before 49;35;28

To me the picture looks better. It even looks clearer and sharper. I do not seem to have the Blue Flaring . I do still have a little noticeable Blue Outline etching but not really noticeable anymore from a reasonable viewing distance. Just when up close to set when making adjustments.
Audiokarma
Old 12-28-2020, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm open to any suggestions that you may have if you think an adjustment in any of the colors would still improve my picture.