Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Garod Console

I was able to pick up a Garod Console for cheap. It is (at least the lower portion) not the greatest (stored in a damp garage). I got it mainly for the picture tube, chassis and screen mask. It is full of tubes as well as what looks like a decent flyback. I haven't tested the picture tube yet. My goal was to use the parts to make my stand alone Garod Tv a little more original, at least as far as the round picture tube goes. The owner originally ran a Radio, TV sale and repair business in Toronto and he originally sold these units. You will probably notice that the chassis mounted transformer is not there (there is a factory screen where it should be). The transformer is mounted below the TV chassis on a sub unit that powers the phono section. If I didn't take it, it was headed to the dump.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garodtoronto4.JPG (115.0 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Garodtoronto1.JPG (84.0 KB, 99 views)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:59 AM
M is for Memory

Given the extreme rarity of that console, I'd restore it rather than using it as a parts set. There are collectors that spend massive sums for consoles with huge cabinets and tiny screens. There are almost certainly far fewer consoles than table models with that chassis.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Given the extreme rarity of that console, I'd restore it rather than using it as a parts set. There are collectors that spend massive sums for consoles with huge cabinets and tiny screens. There are almost certainly far fewer consoles than table models with that chassis.
I second this motion, and I'm one of those suckers, er uh, collectors, that will pay a massive sum for an even more massive late 40s console with a tiny screen.

That set is rare, please don't part it out. If anything, use the tabletop to restore THAT console.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Tinker

Hi Tony,
I like your Garod console. It may take a bit of work, but it looks restorable. What size crt does it have? Having the power supply down below leaves more space for parts replacement. Even the original lettering doesn't look all bad.
Ed
Old 06-11-2018, 12:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Guys, I am still kicking around the idea of restoring it. It will take a lot (ton) of work as the veneers on both sides has come unglued. Not a big deal I know, the bottom support pieces are pretty rotten and moldy. I haven't been able to get it out of the back of my pickup truck yet, I pulled the chassis, power supply and phono section in order to make the cabinet lighter to load and put those in the front of the box section with the cabinet in last (I've got a topper) so I can't get to it to check the CRT size. I could use the TV chassis out of the TV cabinet that I do have as it is rust free. The chassis in the combo unit has a tad more rust. These pictures are not mine, they were in the kijij ad.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garodtoronto2.JPG (85.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Garodtoronto3.JPG (103.6 KB, 48 views)
Audiokarma
Old 06-11-2018, 01:44 PM
M is for Memory

Unless the chassis rust has structurally compromised some key parts of chassis(ie rusted through, and made holes in bad spots) the rust is not a big deal unless you want your chassis to look perfect.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-11-2018, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs up

That is a rare and amazing find. It certainly is worth restoring.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Having been into vintage TV's for many decades I too must chime in and say that set is about as rare as any pre-war TV. There likely is just a precious few of them existing. That along with the primitive front panel and porthole screen make it worth every bit of effort to restore. A very cool find!
Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Being a Toronto receiver, the power grid was 25Hz when the set was delivered. This reflected on US 60Hz sets modified for 25Hz: large iron transformers. Hence the augmented iron was often located on sub-chassis' located elsewhere in the cabinet. (Toronto only switched to 60Hz I believe in 1958).

TV became available over the air from Buffalo in 1948 when WBEN (now WIVB) channel 4 signed on. Canada's first TV broadcasts from the CBLT Toronto and CBMT Montreal began September 1952. Many Torontonian's were ensconced with Buffalo television for four years before the CBC.

This set was for one of the earliest pre-CBC viewers in Toronto.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank-You for the wealth of information. It is always nice to have a little history lesson that I had no idea about. I was out cleaning the bottom of the console while it was laying down in the truck. I managed to squeeze past it and got up to the chassis with the picture tube in it. It is a 12LP4. I didn't really feel like dragging my tester in behind me. That will have to wait for another day. I really hope it tests ok.
Tony
Audiokarma
Old 06-12-2018, 02:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I went back out with my B&K 466 tester and . The tube went into the Green right away (about 56 on the "5" scale) just above the Red+Green scale. After about 10 minutes, it came up to the start of the "G" (about 60 on the "5" scale). I will let it run a little longer when i get a chance. I just had to know that the tube was ok. Also, it is actually a 12LP4A, not just a 12LP4, FWIW. The tube is also a Marconi (painted on the underneath of the Bakelite). I hadn't seen that before.
Tony
Old 06-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
Well, I went back out with my B&K 466 tester and . The tube went into the Green right away (about 56 on the "5" scale) just above the Red+Green scale. After about 10 minutes, it came up to the start of the "G" (about 60 on the "5" scale). I will let it run a little longer when i get a chance. I just had to know that the tube was ok. Also, it is actually a 12LP4A, not just a 12LP4, FWIW. The tube is also a Marconi (painted on the underneath of the Bakelite). I hadn't seen that before.
Tony
I'd be curious to know who actually built the 12LP4A in your set. My guess is RCA. I have a fair number of Marconi recieving tubes that are clearly just rebranded RCAs.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA in Montreal manufactured receiving tubes. I suspect it is a Canadian manufactured tube for Marconi Canada.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well my wife helped me unload it into the garage last night. I've been out cleaning it up. Low and behold I found a Tele-Zoom tucked back in behind the Garrard turntable . Funny I've been watching E-bay for one to make my stand-alone tv complete. My luck usually runs in the "Bad to Worse" zone. I'm now a happy camper.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tele-Zoom.JPG (52.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:48 PM
RCA 741PCS

Sweet. That's one lucky find for sure