Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Bob Galanter

Very curious! It appears that the original US Factory power transformer is on the main chassis. So just exactly how does this 25hz transformer chassis interface with the main chassis. Is the original 60hz transformer just sitting there disconnected? or is the 25hz chassis interconnected in some way as a step up to supply the primary of the 60hz trans on the chassis.

I don't understand why they would leave the original 60hz trans on the chassis.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 08-30-2012, 04:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

cancel post. bad info.

Last edited by old_coot88; 08-30-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
Very curious! It appears that the original US Factory power transformer is on the main chassis. So just exactly how does this 25hz transformer chassis interface with the main chassis. Is the original 60hz transformer just sitting there disconnected? or is the 25hz chassis interconnected in some way as a step up to supply the primary of the 60hz trans on the chassis.

I don't understand why they would leave the original 60hz trans on the chassis.
I'm going to guess that's just an empty can acting as a hole plug on the main chassis.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

The spot where the US transformer sat does appear to be just an empty can. I haven't taken the set apart yet but the can is held in place by the unique Canadian Robertson head screws. The rest of the chassis has Philips, slot or hex head screws but the dummy can has the Robertson head screws.

I have a number of other early Canadian manufactured sets from the '30's onwards with massive 25Hz transformers. They now run a cool life on 60Hz with no problem. But I am curious for a set this late (1956-7) with a 25Hz power transformer implies that there were still pockets of 25Hz regions as late as then.

The set seems to have spent all of its life in an older section of Toronto which was perhaps late to switch to 60Hz. I suppose the only difference with this CTC5 is that an already heavy TV set is that much heavier (by about 10 to 15 pounds).

Last edited by Penthode; 09-01-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling!