Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:15 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Question Smart TV mainboard compatibility

So, I have a Sharp LC-55LB481U Smart TV that needs a new mainboard. My question is, if I purchase a board that has the same part number but is advertised as coming out of a different brand TV (in this case Hisense), will I have issues with that brand being displayed on my screens, or more firmware, software, etc. problems? The board part numbers are identical and the boards look the same, but the brands of the TVs they are used in are different. Obviously this wouldn't be an issue with a non-smart set, but with software and such used in smart TVs, I figured I'd ask to be sure. Also, happy Easter!
Old 04-05-2021, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

The first thing you'll notice (if you get a picture), is the start logo will say "Hisense" instead of Sharp.

Now, there's a high probability that the Hisense and Sharp used different and incompatible screens, and if so, the firmware on the board may not produce a picture on the screen, or it will be upside down, or it will be split in two, or it will be low resolution, or it will...

And while the boards may look identical, very close inspection may show certain parts of the board populated on one and not the other. This is really common (and annoying) on Samsungs. Also, the boards may look the same but the LVDS output connector might be different between the two boards. Get a closeup look of each to make sure they have the same connectors.

What I would do is visit ShopJimmy and punch in both model numbers. On many Shopjimmy listings, they will list the display that the TV has. Sometimes there's more than one which throws another wrinkle in the works. If the two TVs used the same display and TCON, there's a good chance the board will work (other than it now being a Hisense TV including the remote codes).

John
Old 04-07-2021, 10:43 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Thanks for your insight, John. I will go ahead and skip the Hisense board, and go with a Sharp one from the same model TV.