Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Today's Mystery Guest (RCA CTC-4)

Time for a pop quiz! What model of television followed me home today?

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Last edited by Phil Nelson; 11-11-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Learning as I go

I don't know, but I know I will enjoy the restoration article immensely!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC-4?

jr
Old 11-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wow.. Twin speakers..
Old 11-10-2013, 08:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Why, of course!! It's "The Director", otherwise known as a CTC-4. Great find. Was watching mine yesterday, live sports. Hope your CRT is as new!
Kevin
Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Nice find - and please, I hope you didn't drink all the Two-Buck Chuck on the way home......

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pretty easy quiz, I guess!

A local pet shelter ran a rummage sale to raise funds and this TV (a donation to their sale) was crammed amongst loads of rubbish. After I tried testing the CRT on my Sencore CR70 with no visible signs of life, I offered $60, which they accepted. After thinking it over, I gave them an extra $20.

It's a one-owner local set. All the parts & pieces seem to be there. The cabinet looks better in dim light than daylight, but the decals are unworn and I think the various boo-boos will be easy to touch up. It has the inevitable ding on the brass bezel surround, but I can try the trick (Nick's?) of pushing out the ding as best I can and then putting that brass piece on top where the ding's less noticeable. The grille cloth isn't perfect, but that style should not be impossible to find. The Deluxe logo is all in one piece.

Chassis looks pretty clean after a light dust and wipe. Nothing frightening underneath. I haven't peeked at the flyback yet. The 21AXP22 CRT shows no emission whatsoever on the R and G guns, which I only tested briefly. The filament does have continuity. Tomorrow there will be time for a closer look.

I need more projects like a hole in the head, but this sale was so poorly advertised & attended that I felt like I was rescuing this set from a cruel fate (Goodwill or the dump). I spent about two hours at the sale, between testing things, gabbing with the sales person, and disassembling the set for transport. During that time there was only one other shopper . . . who bought nothing.

Phil Nelson

P.S. The cardboard box in the car held tools for testing & disassembling, not refreshments

Old 11-10-2013, 08:00 PM
M is for Memory

RCA model 21CT662 director, CTC-4 chassis.
It could be a different model console cabinet or a CTC-4 re-brand, but I'm certain that it is a CTC-4 chassis from owning a 4 myself.

Nice Score.
What did ya pay for it, is the 21AXP22 there working and not gassy, and when do ya plan on restoring it?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-10-2013, 10:59 PM
M is for Memory

80$ DANG, you STOLE that! I paid 400$ for my barberized Seville....If you ever want to trade for a table model I think we could make a deal.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would have happily paid them more if I'd had any hint that the CRT is good. I have never seen anything look so dead on this tester. Maybe tomorrow will tell a different story.

Phil Nelson
Audiokarma
Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Nice looking tv, good luck with it !

So, just for the heck of it.... Exactly why do you take the chassis out...? Not much of a weight savings moving the cabinet.... If all the bolts are there it ain't gunna move... They were surely shipped in one piece from the factory.... When I was a kid I moved floor model sets on a lawn mower bottom with the tv up side down for miles, and never lost anything..... And when I got my zenith roundie it only had one nut in the chassis, I made reasonable sure it wasn't gunna hit the tube, and off I went... So I really don't get all the work takin out the chassis....?

I don't think I would have stood around testing the tube either.... Just load it up and get outa-there before someone else showed up who might have wanted to start a bidding war on it cause he thought he could resell it on ebay for more....

Its very clean inside...... really nice..... Christmas came early fer you....

Did ya get up and pinch yerself today yet....?

I guess its good to have a minivan in the stables..... I got my 9t240 in my '86 prelude, almost didn't fit in the front seat.....

Last edited by Username1; 11-11-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

It is very clean. I was told it never left the owner's living room since new. It has some replaced capacitors underneath and I found a couple of little solder splashes on the floor of the cabinet. I suspect that whatever service it got was given right there in the lady's house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Exactly why do you take the chassis out...?
It's too tall to stand up in my SUV. I know because I transported my (much shorter) CTC-7 upright in that vehicle and it barely cleared the ceiling. There was nobody to load it but skinny old me and the lady running the sale. (She was also baby-sitting a toddler and two dogs, but they were more trouble than help.) I didn't want to chance dropping it or gouging up the front while grunting it face-down into the back.

Steve, the serial number is B8085878.

Phil Nelson

Old 11-11-2013, 12:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great find Phil. Look forward to reading your comments as you restore the set. Hope you can wake up that CRT.

-Steve D.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Testing the CRT with my Sencore CR-70 doesn't have me dancing, so far. I measure .7 ohms between pins 1 and 14, so the heaters are not completely open.

Before connecting the universal adapter to the CRT, I set the heater voltage to 6.3. When I connect the UA clips to the pins and turn on the tester, the voltage drops to around 3 volts and the CR-70 makes a high whining noise. If I disconnect a heater pin, the noise goes away and the voltage goes back to normal.

The CRT passes the H-K shorts and G1 shorts test, but the needle doesn't move at all for cutoff test or emission test. This is the same for all three guns.

Suspecting operator error, I double-checked the manual and looked at an old photo of my tester connected to the 21CYP22 in my CTC-7. With exactly the same settings, the tester worked normally and checked the emission, etc., for each gun in that tube. I even hauled the tester out to check a B/W tube, and the tester works normally.

Not sure what is going on here. For an old B/W tube, I'd just let it sit on the tester for a while, to see if it wakes up under normal or slightly elevated filament voltage. I don't see any glowing inside the base, but the base is getting warm.

Phil Nelson

Old 11-12-2013, 06:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the SN, Phil. Your set is now in the database.
Audiokarma