Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

magnavox

I had gone through my Maggie with help of an experienced vintage repairman, I am unable to get in touch with him at the moment.
When my Maggie is turned on after a few minutes of use, it gets a loud but short snap sound like static discharge and the screen gets a small line about 1/8" horizontal for that split second, it will always and only do it twice in the first 5 minutes of use. If I use it daily it works fine with no snap, no line.
It reminds me of my RCA SS sets when they go to a dark picture but louder and not a lot of small static discharges. Anything to worry about??
Old 03-20-2010, 02:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalamazoo-DJ View Post
I had gone through my Maggie with help of an experienced vintage repairman, I am unable to get in touch with him at the moment.
When my Maggie is turned on after a few minutes of use, it gets a loud but short snap sound like static discharge and the screen gets a small line about 1/8" horizontal for that split second, it will always and only do it twice in the first 5 minutes of use. If I use it daily it works fine with no snap, no line.
It reminds me of my RCA SS sets when they go to a dark picture but louder and not a lot of small static discharges. Anything to worry about??
I wouldn't use it until you get a chance to have your repairman present to diagnose it. It might not cause damage, but without understanding the cause you can't be sure.

Is it a horizontal line or vertical line? I assume you're losing the horizontal or vertical sweep for a brief time. It might be a capacitor arcing, in which case you really don't want to run it. If it's an HV discharge, say from the connector to the dag, it might not hurt anything but why take a chance.

John
Old 03-20-2010, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks John,Much to my surprise actually he made a house call right after I wrote this to repair another set, he looked it over and it snapped and there was a slight HV discharge going on so he repaired what ever it was and adjusted the set.What ever he did brought out some very sharp colors it was hard to distinguish black from gray but now the colors are right on. He explained some kind of gap was the problem but not sure what he meant.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like a "spark gap" to protect against overvoltage. Glad it was that simple.

John