Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bad TV restoration experience - ugh!

A few years ago, I attempted to restore a 1950 Dumont RA-112. I'm not an expert but know enough to make a valiant attempt. Things weren't right, so I dropped it off at a restoration shop in western Michigan. Fast forward a few years...I've sent a little more cash towards this restoration and was told that it was now complete. I'm no longer able to pick this up as easily as I could drop it off, so I arranged with the shop to have it picked up via U-Crate (thank you tax return). I gave the shop 1 months notice regarding the drop off of the crate and was assured that it was going to be easy to crate it up and send it on it's way. Well...here I am...over a week after the crate was dropped off. The shop will not return my calls. They will not return U-Crate's calls. In addition to the restoration charges (which have been paid), I am now facing a $100 charge by U-Crate for services performed.

Who knows what is exactly happening...the tv could be gone or damaged or I'm getting taken for a ride. It is a bummer. The set had a great 19AP4 in it.

I've filed a report with the Western Michigan BBB, which is more of a heads-up for future potential customers.

Any ideas (beyond driving 1000+ miles to show up at his doorstep) that other members have would be appreciated!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's a shame. Hopefully this is all a bit of miscommunication between you and the repair shop, even though with that much time passing by that seems less and less likely. It seems people in similar situations have had the most success in contacting the law enforcement agency local to where the problem seller/shop is. Not surprisingly, things start to happen when the sheriff shows up at their door!