Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2022, 03:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sony DVP-S9000ES Power Supply (?) problem

I was out in my workshop troubleshooting something else, when I decided to go through the system I have out there while moving gear around and straightening up. When I powered this DVD player (I use it for CD's/SACD's, not for DVD's anymore) up I pressed the button for the drawer to open-I believe it's a gear drive, not belt driven-and it didn't open. So I cycled the power button and it went from Red (power on the inlet but not switched on) to Green, to...OUT. Cycling it again accomplished nothing. I went into it and checked the PS fuse (F101) and it checked good. I momentarily bridged the fuse holder and still nothing. I only see one more fuse in the service manual (F401-too small for me to take a crack at replacing, frankly) and it's ostensibly way too far down past the power supply to be responsible for the DOA status of the player.

If anybody else has ever had any experience with these machines, I'd really appreciate a hand. I'm a motivated amateur technician, and certainly am not an expert. I'm not a kid anymore and my eyesight means that working on gear with absurdly small components and incomprehensibly large VLSI's have been low on my experience resume. If there's a reset button I've overlooked, (I don't see one of those in the SM either) please help a guy out. I hate to send it to the island of unloved but highly copper infused chassis toys if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance and best wishes to all...
Old 10-22-2022, 11:53 AM
M is for Memory

It's possible the power supply lytics have developed high ESR and or current leakage. There's a bunch of ~$15 ESR/RCL/transistor testers on ebay and Amazon that are great for checking caps in SS gear... IMO they're a must have if you want to start working on SS gear.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-22-2022, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for your reply. I work on solid state gear all the time. But not these things that are 90% meant to not be worked on (nor were built by) human hands. I might be able to get by with replacing the entire PS board, but I don't want to throw good money after, well...good money.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 10-23-2022, 10:05 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktptman View Post
Thanks for your reply. I work on solid state gear all the time. But not these things that are 90% meant to not be worked on (nor were built by) human hands. I might be able to get by with replacing the entire PS board, but I don't want to throw good money after, well...good money.

Thanks again for the advice!
It certainly is meant to be worked on, or repaired. Sony wouldn't have published a service manual if it wasn't.

Here's a link to the power supply check procedure. That's a nice player, would be a shame to give up on it.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/89...age=113#manual
Old 10-23-2022, 10:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

The power supply section is one of the few parts of it that can be worked on by a human. The rest of it appears to be manufactured in a way that entire boards have to be replaced as opposed to trying to desolder hundreds of connections on a VLSI. Some people will have the equipment and skills to do it, but many (most, in all likelihood) won't. That was my point and I stand by it. : - )
Audiokarma
Old 10-23-2022, 01:14 PM
M is for Memory

A lot of BGA/VLSI chips can be swapped using a heat gun or a hot plate it takes finesse, but can be done with cheap harbor freight grade tools not meant for soldering...I've seen it done on YouTube. Granted I wouldn't touch those parts unless I could either prove them bad or knew they were a very common source of the symptoms experienced.

SMA passives aren't hard to change either I've done those with tweezers and a fine tip iron...A good magnifier helps if your eyes aren't young and sharp like mine.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-23-2022, 02:44 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktptman View Post
The power supply section is one of the few parts of it that can be worked on by a human. The rest of it appears to be manufactured in a way that entire boards have to be replaced as opposed to trying to desolder hundreds of connections on a VLSI. Some people will have the equipment and skills to do it, but many (most, in all likelihood) won't. That was my point and I stand by it. : - )

That's why I pointed you toward the power supply. It's relatively simple and easy to verify all the proper voltages are there. With two power transformers and linear power supplies for audio and video sections, no switching mode power supply, seems to me worth the effort to at least check the power supply.