Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Arcade, Pinball, and MAME

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Old School is New School

Does anyone here collect vintage EM pinball machines?

I used to have a small collection 4 machines that I kept running. They were always the hit of the party. I still have one in pieces down in the basement.

Harman Kardon Citaton I preamp, Marantz 8b amp, Klipschorns speakers, Thorens TD 124 turntable, and piles of other gear.....
Old 09-15-2009, 12:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is definitely something to an EM machine's sounds.. The clicking, clacking, buzzing (and xylophone chimes) that is missing from the newer machines.
I've restored one new style game, one EM and working on my second.
The current one is a Chicago Coin Pirate Gold from 1969. Apparently Chicago Coin games are rare and made of parts from other vendors so getting spares has been a challenge.

Rob
Old 10-27-2009, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanmanor View Post
I used to have a small collection 4 machines that I kept running. They were always the hit of the party. I still have one in pieces down in the basement.
Got a couple over here. I bought a Gottlieb "Scuba" pinball (circa 1970) many years back for my wife.... as a tie in to her love of scuba diving. I also picked up a Gottlieb "Mustang" pinball (circa 1977, a Western theme...not the car) and a Bally "Bow and Arrow" (circa 1975) as a 2 piece package deal.
Console, chairside and table top radios. Test equipment , tubes, and a couple TV's. Oh, and tube/SS audio equipment.... lots and lots of audio equipment.....
Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 PM
i <3 my Denon

I can't say that I collect them..but I enjoy the magic and the life an em machine has to offer.

...i do also work on the things a bit.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would like to get a 60's or 70's machine. Just waiting for the right opportunity.
Audiokarma
Old 11-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I only have electronic pinball machines so far.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 11-28-2009, 05:27 PM
i <3 my Denon

99% of the machines I work on are modern solid state machines. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love the fact I can work on them a lot easier than I can an EM...but I hate the complexity.

EM machines...I can work on 'em...but it generally takes me a while because of lack of expierence...but I've learned a few things over the years and, if I've got the schematic, I generally do pretty well.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have been wanting one for awhile. I was planning on buying one from a guy I met. He had a big collection. But he passed one winter and never did hear what happened to his collection. But the other day my neighbor who is moving sold me a Williams viking. needs glass for the playing field, and the chrome strip on the bottom that holds the glass in. Could use new rubbers. Sad thing is the back glass is peeling bad. Thankfully the Girls are OK! whew! Playing field is in nice shape. The machine works. could use some cleaning tho. A decent deal for 100 bucks. Oh, and the legs are not original. they are off some kitchen table. but they fit and hold the machine up. Wouldn't mind finding at least one more in better shape. Can't justify more than that. I just don't have the room LOL
Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Williams 'PERKY' (1956). Theme: Broadway; Artist: Roy Parker (Chicago).

Also have Chicago Coins SPINBALL (1948)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 'PERKY' 1956.jpg (80.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 AM
i <3 my Denon

How do you know they're not original?

Old woodrails often had wooden legs, although a viking is too new for that....however, according to IPDB, its not a usual cabinet design....so the legs look like table legs. Unless the original owner knew for sure they aren't original, they might be....

www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2738&picno=27350

Sent from my Samsung Intercept with Tapatalk
Audiokarma
Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, he got the machine without legs and found table ones that fit.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a 1973 Williams OXO EM pinball, love the sounds of it and the old-style thrills it brings! I also have a modern 1990's Bally Gilligan's Island pin next to it, nice contrast to the old and new.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Administrator

I had a Williams "Swinger" that I restored. Loved that machine, but for pure fun to play, it couldn't hold a candle to my Space Shuttle. Man I miss my machines
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz64
I've got a 1973 Williams OXO EM pinball, love the sounds of it and the old-style thrills it brings! I also have a modern 1990's Bally Gilligan's Island pin next to it, nice contrast to the old and new.
Excellent!!!

Good OLDER pinball machines are one of my FAVOURITE things!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

You bet! Just bought #47 yesterday. Most are EMs, some of which date back to 1932 but a number of newer SS pins too. FUN hobby.
Steve
Audiokarma