Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?
Star Trek (Classic) 69 41.82%
The Next Generation 74 44.85%
Deep Space Nine 8 4.85%
Voyager 11 6.67%
Enterprise 3 1.82%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg196
Hey, was the Klingon forehead-evolution ever explained?!?!?!!
I remember in one episode where they went back to the Trouble With Tribbles episode, Worf was asked about it and kinda said that was something that they did not discuss.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Don't drive angry

So, I'm the only fan of DS9?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I loved the original, but after "TNG" you'd go back & watch one, & it was incredible how "cheap 'n' nasty" a lot of 'em looked..And seems like a lot of the women on the original had a "trashy" look about 'em..."TNG" was very wooden & stilted at first when it came out, I thought...Took awhile to warm up to Picard...but after I did, I thought he was at least as good as Kirk...Better, in some ways...The original was very much a '60s show, w/everything that entails, just as "TNG" was an '80s show...Hell, I liked 'em both.-Sandy G.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Johnny Thunders - LAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik
I remember in one episode where they went back to the Trouble With Tribbles episode, Worf was asked about it and kinda said that was something that they did not discuss.
Yeah, I had never even thought about it until that exchange. I wonder if any AK Star Trek nerds know the answer...perhaps it was discussed in a novelization?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Charivari

Quote:
Hey, was the Klingon forehead-evolution ever explained?!?!?!!
I caught an Enterprise rerun (couldn't be bothered to catch very many episodes of it when it was running) that explained it. According to that series, Klingons always looked like TNG Klingons. However, the K military or whatever performed an experiment in genetic engineering using some of the data that created the group of engineered humans (Khan and cronies) that resulted in a deadly virus that dissolved the cranial ridges, etc and made the infected Klingons look like TOS Klingons. The doctor saved the day figuring out how to prevent the virus from being deadly, but only after millions had been infected and turned into TOS Klingons -- with the genes that would turn their children thus as well. Kind of nice that they fixed that little mystery.

Now, while TNG was a very nice re-envisioning of the Star Trek universe, there are only a few gems of episodes and a whole lot of -- again, stilted acting and rehashed stories. Watching the reruns on Spike TV is highly repetitious, most every episode is just a slight modification on the one before, it seems. Now, DS9 was the superior show (imo) towards the end. There was actual, in depth character development, and story lines that extended over a whole season and even across seasons. It was darker than the others, but I think it managed to improve the franchise. That is, ignoring the last couple of TNG movies that were rather disappointing (did we really need The Wrath of Khan remade with Picard? I don't think so.)

- JP
Audiokarma
Old 02-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Nikko Freako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman
For me it was Jim, Spock, Bones and Scotty, and always will be. I just find them much more interesting characters;
Exactly. And thats that with that.

ACHOO!!
Old 02-28-2006, 03:30 PM
AK Member

The original is when I got hooked. TNG is a close second for me.

"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra"
Old 02-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Johnny Thunders - LAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charivari
Now, DS9 was the superior show (imo) towards the end. There was actual, in depth character development, and story lines that extended over a whole season and even across seasons.

- JP

I completely agree. DS9 had twice the number of plotlines during any given episode. TNG was more of a "watch one episode" at a time show. With DS9, there were many episodes that you could find yourself lost in without seeing the ones which immediately preceeded it.

However, I still have to go with TNG for overall level of kickassification. Kickassification is a difficult thing to quantify, so don't ask me for the formula. Sorta like wpc's, but it takes bodysuits and deformed alien foreheads into consideration.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Johnny Thunders - LAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropiler
"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra"

FUCK YEAH! Tanagra! That chubby alien dude was awesome! I think that episode was actually an allegory for the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

Darmok and Jalad! Dude, you kill me.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Darmok-His arms unfolded.... Darmok & Jalad at the Ocean...That was one of the most clever TV shows I ever saw...-Sandy G.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:10 PM
AK Member

Quote:
FUCK YEAH! Tanagra! That chubby alien dude was awesome! I think that episode was actually an allegory for the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

Darmok and Jalad! Dude, you kill me.
Most TNG fans I knew back then hated that episode. Here's more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darmok_(TNG_episode)

Don't forget to scroll down to the quotes section. Gotta love it.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Johnny Thunders - LAMF

The Jean-Luc Picard Song !!!

The Worf Song !!!

The Frame of Mind Song !!! (from that schizo Reicher episode)

Last edited by mg196; 02-28-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Mad Dog Junkie

I liked them all 'equaly'..the stage was set in a vision of the universe of the future and they all had certain reference points to go by.

They all had...

Star Fleet.....

Vulcans....

Basicly the same adversaries..ie..klingons, romulans, borg, the dominion..breen....but from different points of view in the universe...

Ship design...

Uniforms......there were different incarnations..but basicly the same...

And at times charactors from one series showed up in another.......and also in different places in time..

I recently got to see the last 5 episodes of Enterprise and they knew it all was coming to an end and tried to tie up a bunch of links and ideas that were never explained...especially the two part episode... 'In a Mirror, Darkly'..where Captain Archer, in the alternate universe, found the USS Defiant, Which was lost in the TOS epiosode 'The Tholian Web'.. and the final episode, which was done from the perspective of Riker when trying to come to terms with his conflict with himself during the Pegesus situation

Voyager made it back home with the help of Reg Barkley...and at the same time busted up the Borg situation pretty good.. (Captain Janeway was a Hottie!...but I like older women)

So to me it was all one big show...

Too bad it came to an end...

Last edited by Reel 2 Reel; 03-12-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:58 AM
The Goodbye Look

I enoyed Voyager the best because some of the characters interested me:Tom Paris-who was the substitute Tom Cruise/Han Solo,his love interest,engineer Torres,Seven of Nine(what a hottie,and I loved her cat fights with Torres),and the Vulcan,cant remember his name,but he was arrogant,even for a Vulcan.
Jimmy
Old 03-12-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I remember when my brother and I visited my dad on the weekends we would watch Star Trek on Channel 43 before coming home to Mom.
I’m assuming you’re talking WUAB.
If so like their commercial said at the time.
“Channel 43 plays favorites” You could tune in
Superhost and catch a Godzilla flick while you’re at it.
Audiokarma