Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sony Betamovie question

Hello to every one here at videokarma.org!

I have a question. Does any one on here know anything about an obscure camcorder from the 1980s called the Sony Betamovie? I have one of them that I am thinking about getting it repaired, and using to make some movies. I would like to find out some more information about it, and I could only find a few web sites about it, so I have more questions about it. I am also having problems with my Sony Betamax VCR.

From what I have found online, the Sony Betamovie was the very first consumer camcorder, but they were not very popular, and they were not big sellers.

Thank you for the help!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I can assure you they were not the first camcorder. There were a variety of other portapack and tape based shoulder units before it.

Technology Connections on Youtube has a great video on it, however I've always found him to be a bit....tacky? classy? Something about how he does his videos just seems too polished. Anyways he dwells pretty hard into the shortcomings of a camera that was in the low end of the market. It's record-only, the viewfinder is split-prism and it uses nonstandard battery packs that you cannot buy anymore.

I have one myself and it's quirky. I am reminded of those disposable film cameras where there's a lot of guessing to how your video is going to turn out.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Save your repair money...that's if you can find anyone to fix it. I found 50+ Betamovies tonight on ebay for under $50. The batteries will never work. I use my 220 with the charger power. Video is what you expect from the tube era. Somewhere I have an early Japan only model with labelmaker markings. Fun for a few dollars. Not much more.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:52 AM
M is for Memory

Sometimes you get lucky on the batteries. I have a Toshiba (and an identical unit badged NEC) that came in a carry bag with a couple of batteries and a bunch of accessories...the whole lot was like $30 and the batteries worked fine (I haven't used it in about 5 years) and the unit ran okay.

Not all but some camcorders and even separate portable decks you can still get batteries for through specialty stores like batteries plus.

The number of people qualified to work on these, the prices they charge, and the value of these units make it a better plan to keep yours a shelf piece and find something that works if you are serious about making videos on one....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-23-2019, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Not all but some camcorders and even separate portable decks you can still get batteries for through specialty stores like batteries plus.
The SL-2000 portable deck uses the NP-1 battery. Not only is it still manufactured but due to it still being used professionally there are drop-in lithium packs with insane capacity you can buy.
Audiokarma
Old 10-24-2019, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the help. My Sony Betamovie camera is a very well preserved unit which looks like it was not used very much. It still has all of the manuals, paperwork, carrying case, and accessories, but it is hard to say if it still works, since it will only record, without any other functions, and my Sony Betamax VCR is not working. I have plugged it in with the Sony AC-M110 A/C power adaptor & loaded a tape, and I can hear the moving parts working. I have also tried the Sony NP-11 battery, and it does not work; I have tried to charge it, but it will not charge up.

I also found this instruction on page 16 in the manual:

When the Betamovie has not been used for a long period of time:
Operate the Betamovie for a few minutes at least every 6 months. While test shooting use the zoom and focus ring, too. Otherwise the Trinicon tube and the internal units may deteriorate through disuse.

This issue is another one of my concerns.

I may call some electronics technicians in my area just to see what I can find out. I will also ask about my Sony Betamax VCR.

Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have seen trinicon tubes that have been disused WAY beyond six months still wake up fine. That being said I'd still run them with the white balance filter on for a while every few years.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:37 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4204 T3 View Post
Thanks for the help. My Sony Betamovie camera is a very well preserved unit which looks like it was not used very much. It still has all of the manuals, paperwork, carrying case, and accessories, but it is hard to say if it still works, since it will only record, without any other functions, and my Sony Betamax VCR is not working. I have plugged it in with the Sony AC-M110 A/C power adaptor & loaded a tape, and I can hear the moving parts working. I have also tried the Sony NP-11 battery, and it does not work; I have tried to charge it, but it will not charge up.

I also found this instruction on page 16 in the manual:

When the Betamovie has not been used for a long period of time:
Operate the Betamovie for a few minutes at least every 6 months. While test shooting use the zoom and focus ring, too. Otherwise the Trinicon tube and the internal units may deteriorate through disuse.

This issue is another one of my concerns.

I may call some electronics technicians in my area just to see what I can find out. I will also ask about my Sony Betamax VCR.

Thanks again.
The one I have based on the tapes it came with had been dormant since the late 80s and still woke up and worked fine nearly 25 years later...

If you have made a test tape you could send it to me or someone else with a working beta deck and we can check if it recorded intelligible video.

BTW if you use it outdoors never point it at the sun or a direct reflection....if you do you'll burn a spot and or line into the camera tube.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4