Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Further repairs

Thanks for all the responses; I really appreciate the suggestions.

I haven't done anything with this VCR yet, but when I have more time, I will try looking at it some more. I thought maybe the culprit is a mechanical problem with one of the idler tyres or one of the belts, so I can try examining it. I also have a can of Deoxit D5, so I will try cleaning the front controls.

Something else I've heard about the Hitachi VCRs from the 1980s is that they have a very complicated internal mechanism, and they're difficult to service. I'm thinking of ordering a service manual for this VCR, but it's expensive.

I will also try looking for other VCRs if I can't get it working reliably.

Thanks again for the suggesions.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

This VCR works well now

I worked on this VCR again, and I was able to figure out what was wrong with it. It works fine now, and I can use it again. This old Hitachi / RCA Selectavision VCR is definitely a keeper, and I will use it for a long time to come, so thanks for all the suggestions & help on getting it working again!

I will try to post a picture of it on here soon.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Yes, indeed. The VKT385 is a 1984 Hitachi built unit. I worked on many of them in the late 80's and 90's.
What about mid-1980s Sharp VCRs? Did you work on a lot of them too? Also, were the 1980s Toshiba VHS VCRs rarely seen or not?
Old 11-05-2022, 01:43 PM
blast, blast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
What about mid-1980s Sharp VCRs? Did you work on a lot of them too? Also, were the 1980s Toshiba VHS VCRs rarely seen or not?
I worked on very low numbers of Sharp and Toshiba VCRs relative to other brands.

I can give you some numbers. From 1989 to 1998 out of 111 brands (mostly VCRs) that our shop took in I worked on (which doesn't mean "fix" - but at least took the top off of): 226 Toshiba; 452 Sharp; 602 GE; 1,224 Zenith and 2,758 RCA.

We had quite a following of dealers and movie rental store chains (typically in smaller cities that would ship their units in) for RCA, GE and Zenith and not so much for the other brands that mostly came to us locally.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I worked on very low numbers of Sharp and Toshiba VCRs relative to other brands.

I can give you some numbers. From 1989 to 1998 out of 111 brands (mostly VCRs) that our shop took in I worked on (which doesn't mean "fix" - but at least took the top off of): 226 Toshiba; 452 Sharp; 602 GE; 1,224 Zenith and 2,758 RCA.
Very nice info... On the GE, do you mean the VCRs were mostly made by Matsushita or Panasonic? On the Zenith, were they mostly made by GoldStar that failed? What about Zenith VCRs made by JVC, the one with an idler-tire, high failure or not?
Audiokarma
Old 11-05-2022, 05:24 PM
blast, blast...

Quote:
Very nice info... On the GE, do you mean the VCRs were mostly made by Matsushita or Panasonic? On the Zenith, were they mostly made by GoldStar that failed? What about Zenith VCRs made by JVC, the one with an idler-tire, high failure or not?
Since we've already crapped all over this thread I guess it appears to have played itself out anyways. So...

To answer your question I can't break it out much better than that. GE's were Panasonics up until around '88, '89 when some Samsungs were thrown in (VG7500, 7515). Then, there were some IVP's (International Video Products, a venture with Toshiba VG4218 along with some TV/VCRs 13TVR60, for one) and some Daewoos thrown in here and there in the late '90's (VG4053, VG4056)... So, I guess the majority of that number were likely Panasonic built.

Zenith's were JVC built until the late 80's when Goldstar units started appearing. But, I definitely can't break out how many of each without doing a LOT more research. And, that's above my pay grade. Sorry.
Old 11-05-2022, 06:15 PM
M is for Memory

In the last decade I've had 2 identical (besides cabinet color) Toshiba Beta HiFi decks (still own one), besides the IIRC capstan belt both worked perfectly mechanically and electrically... Very good build quality/reliability there.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-05-2022, 06:19 PM
blast, blast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
In the last decade I've had 2 identical (besides cabinet color) Toshiba Beta HiFi decks (still own one), besides the IIRC capstan belt both worked perfectly mechanically and electrically... Very good build quality/reliability there.
Nice! I might point out I've only ever worked on VHS.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
From 1989 to 1998 out of 111 brands (mostly VCRs) that our shop took in I worked on (which doesn't mean "fix" - but at least took the top off of): 226 Toshiba; 452 Sharp; 602 GE; 1,224 Zenith and 2,758 RCA.
What is the exact number for JVC brand only that you've seen total? Can you check your records one more time? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:17 PM
blast, blast...

Quote:
What is the exact number for JVC brand only that you've seen total? Can you check your records one more time? Thanks.
No problem. 601.
Audiokarma
Old 11-08-2022, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
No problem. 601.
What about Panasonic, Hitachi, and Mitsubishi? Can you check one final time?

I shared your numbers to Studio Sound Electronics, and he's really enjoying it, actually. :-) He asks me for Panasonic, Hitachi, and Mitsubishi as well? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:57 PM
blast, blast...

Quote:
What about Panasonic, Hitachi, and Mitsubishi? Can you check one final time?

I shared your numbers to Studio Sound Electronics, and he's really enjoying it, actually. :-) He asks me for Panasonic, Hitachi, and Mitsubishi as well? Thanks.
611, 464 and 287, respectively.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

It sounds like your rewind issue is coming from worn belts or idlers cause the motor is starting.

I forget exactly how that VCR is laid out but I do remember servicing that machine back in the late 90's. I don't remember it being all that bad to work on. The most miserable I remember is the top loader RCA that was older than yours.

I wouldn't be too much effort to service the belts yourself.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
611, 464 and 287, respectively.
What are the numbers for Emerson, Symphonic, and Fisher VCR brands? (Studio Sound Electronics is curious again...)
Old 11-17-2022, 08:16 AM
blast, blast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube TV View Post
--snip-- I forget exactly how that VCR is laid out --snip
Something like this. This photo of the entire lower mechanism is from the thread "Rca Vkt300" here on videokarma. With the infamous RCA p/n 164113 idler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA VKT300 Lower Mechanism.jpg (50.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg RCA 164113 Idler.jpg (9.2 KB, 9 views)
Audiokarma