Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-30-2023, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

TVs with delta-gun tubes and random access digital tuning

I know there were not many color TVs that were equipped with delta-gun tubes and random access digital tuning, but some that come to mind are the Magnavox STAR sets that had a T995 chassis and a delta-gun tube (about 1974, or so). Then, RCA had the "direct address" sets that were introduced in the first ColorTrak models for 1976 (CTC74 for the 19" and CTC81 for the 25" models, but the 19" chassis used an inline tube). Then, there was the CTC89 and 92 series RCA sets that had random access digital tuning, in both remote and non-remote form, some with OSD and some with a red LED display.

It's possible that Sylvania had a RAT 25" console with a delta-gun tube in '79-'80, and it would have used the E45 or E48 chassis, but don't take my assumption to the bank.

I know that Zenith was late to the RAT party, and they didn't offer such a set until mid-'79 for the 1980 model year, and it would have had an inline tube and a 9-160 power supply/sweep module. These Zenith sets came in both OSD and green LED versions. It would have been nice, had they incorporated RAT in the first generation System 3 (the chassis that still used a power transformer and a 9-153 horizontal sweep/HV module).

As far as earlier RAT-equipped sets with delta-gun tubes, I don't recall any of them being "cable ready." At best, some of them might have been able to receive the cable midband channels, but as far as a "CATV/normal" switch, with 2-36 being for cable and 2-83 being for OTA, I don't recall seeing such a setup. The first Zenith sets to have RAT had a normal/cable switch, but those had inline tubes.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think you have a pretty good handle on the subject!

John
Old 09-01-2023, 02:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Although not a mainstream manufacturer Heathkit also had delta gun sets with digital tuning.
The GR2000 had just up and down buttons for channel selection. The GR2001 had keypad entry. Both used the 25VCZP22 tube and had on screen channel (and time) display. Incidentally, they both convert over to video monitors very easily.