Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wtb two sets of leads.

I need a set of leads for a Hickok 209-A VTVM. Not the big leads but the small ones that are supposedly .093 diameter. They say an octal tube base pin is the same thing, but I don't really want to cobble them; I would rather buy them if anybody has some that will work.

Also, I need a set of twin alligator leads with a BNC connector for my function generator. I know I can get at least these new with ease, but hope maybe one person has both laying around.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2014, 03:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK, well since nothing was happening here I went ahead and found a bad octal tube and yanked some pins. Strangely there was no solder in any of the pins I pulled which led me to wonder whether the tube was ever really good.

Anyway, the pins are the diameter I mentioned earlier and work fine in the test equipment with these odd (now) probe terminals. I sacrificed a brand new set of banana tip leads to do the job. No loss as leads are completely necessary and the finished product looks good. Now to get this beast to do anything right! I'm going to make another thread on that as it would be off topic here.

I was going to remove this thread as useless, but now I am thinking that with what seems to be a growing interest in vintage test equipment perhaps this info. will do somebody some good. With that in mind I want to ad that you can get this size adapter to standard banana type if you prefer. You probably can simply buy the ends somewhere and make leads, but why do that when you have ends sitting around in boxes of tubes.

The other "odd" lead terminal size I have ran into is the grounding terminal on a Simpson 303 VTVM. I still don't have a cure for that, but Simpson has great info out on the Web and is still going quite strong making the best of analog meters and digital stuff too like a hand held scope even. I was a bit surprised to see brand new classic Simpson meters. Glad some things haven't changed or turned commie (China).

As far as my BNC test leads go, I found an old, cheap oscilloscope probe. I should be able to just cut the probe and put on a couple of alligator clips.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry; duplcate...

Last edited by Tubejunke; 08-06-2014 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 AM
The glass is -3dB.

If anyone else needs prods with those weirdo ends on them, the made-for-military by Elwyn Inc 6625-01-121-0510 are a very sweet set of leads and come with pretty much all the ends you could want. (And because of how they're designed, you can put bananas on one end and pin-jack pins on the other, if you wanted to.)

I have a set myself, and I've given thought to picking up another 2 sets just because they're so awesome.

The old scope probe is a no-go my friend. In short, they're not built with normal coax. For more detail you can watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiAmER1OJh4
Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPegs View Post
The old scope probe is a no-go my friend. In short, they're not built with normal coax. For more detail you can watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiAmER1OJh4
Gosh thanks friend. I never would have imagined about 300 Ohms being in that coax used for scope probes. Guess I'll just do what I figured I should do anyway and buy a proper set of twin alligator leads for my function generator. I know I could double terminate a piece of coax with bnc connectors and feed that to my scope, but I want the capability of the clips to connect to circuits I may build on a breadboard or whatnot. Good video!