Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Arcade, Pinball, and MAME

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did arcade games REALLY use Tube-driven monitors??

I seem to recall reading here that someone has worked on either a Centipede game or some other vintage , wonderful game--and they talked about the color monitors using TUBES !! I did NOT expect this to me the case. I expected them to contain all SS monitors, likely foreign-made and a lot of chips in the low-level ckty too. Then I read about a game that had a 6JE6 tube red-plating, likely from loss of drive or such.

True--or someone's dream??
Old 05-27-2014, 01:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Only the very early "silver age" games such as Computer Space and stuff contemporary with TVs of the era that were hybrid or last gasp had tubes. Pong for example had a solid state B/W tv hacked into a monitor. Every color game I've seen, even those with modified TV receivers have had solid state monitors.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

That i8s what I expected..EVERY modern (80's-now) video game I have seen in ...the monitor was boring looking, often hot chassis, and used chips for V-out and such-like tv sets of the day. Usually a single--boring to look at board.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Computer Space used the General Electric SF chassis b/w, same as the 12" b/w tv sets used. it was a hybrid tube chassis. Always thought that was interesting. And every SE or SF set I found over the years worked well as is, but many had weak CRTs(low emission)
Old 05-29-2014, 02:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

The SF/SE had only one transistor if I recall correctly: the UHF oscillator.
Audiokarma
Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000
That i8s what I expected..EVERY modern (80's-now) video game I have seen in ...the monitor was boring looking, often hot chassis, and used chips for V-out and such-like tv sets of the day. Usually a single--boring to look at board.
I have a SUPER PACMAN game in my room which I believe uses a CRT
Old 05-31-2014, 03:58 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

They all used CRTs, but tubes on the chassis itself?

I worked on the Electrohome (customized JVC) game monitors in 1981 when we did warranty service for Williams, Stern, and others. It was fun to see a box marked "Berzerk monitor", and my co-worker who was not familiar with the game thought it was a description of the monitor's problem. Those were certainly all solid state.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 04-30-2016, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

According to the game's author Jed Margolin, Star Wars was planned to have a tube to defocus the crt during the death star explosion.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfixer View Post
The SF/SE had only one transistor if I recall correctly: the UHF oscillator.
I have an SF 12" portable hybrid set. It uses an IC for the audio circuit and a HV type audio transistor. It also has a FET for the horizontal osc transistor.
I'd have to review the schematic again. An interesting design, to be sure.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
I seem to recall reading here that someone has worked on either a Centipede game or some other vintage , wonderful game--and they talked about the color monitors using TUBES !! I did NOT expect this to me the case. I expected them to contain all SS monitors, likely foreign-made and a lot of chips in the low-level ckty too. Then I read about a game that had a 6JE6 tube red-plating, likely from loss of drive or such.

True--or someone's dream??
Usually when someone who works on arcade machines refers to a tube monitor, all they mean is that it uses a CRT.
Audiokarma
Old 05-23-2016, 03:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

How were those '80s and '90s arcade boards hooked up to the tube. Composite? RGB?
Old 06-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Technohippie

Most arcade monitors I have seen used RGB signal lines, plus H and V sync...
Old 07-03-2016, 03:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

^^Correct^^ with a sync of 15khz I believe.

I went on a quest about 15 years ago trying to find computer monitors that would sync to an NES Play10 board I had, and would have liked to use it on my Genesis and SNES. I never got my hands on one, but from what I remember Samsung and Dell had the most models that could pull it off. Long after I abandoned that board I found a Sun Microsystems (I think) with RGBHV jacks on the back that probably would have worked. For some you needed to run a 5v supply on the VGA connector to brighten the picture.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Samsung TV in my sig, uses the SAME CRT used in Ms-Pacman.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was alittle confused with the topic heading at first .I had in mind of a all tube TV sets used as a arcade monitor.Some of us at home back in the 1970's probably playing the original Pong on mom and dads old all tube TV from the 1960's or an 1970's hybrid set as mom and dad watch their new TV .I have several RGB CRT monitors here from arcade games.With some electronics magic with a composite video input along with the H.V ,sync, color demode circuitry and audio amp .You can make a regular TV monitor out of it.
Audiokarma