Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:45 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Remove the vibrator and connect 6vac to pins 3&6. With AC applied it should vibrate.
There's probably a heavy corrosion buildup on the contacts after so many years. If it doesn't buzz on AC, the coil is probably open.
Trying to remember after so many years.
Sometimes the contacts in vibrators are so corroded they won't vibrate even at 6V AC...the vibrator in my 47 olds radio needed close to 24VAC from my variac and some light knocking on it to wake it up... it isn't a bad idea to put a 6 or 12V turnsignal bulb in series as a current limiter during the AC wakeup cycle...it can also serve as an indicator if it started working.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-19-2021, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Sometimes the contacts in vibrators are so corroded they won't vibrate even at 6V AC...the vibrator in my 47 olds radio needed close to 24VAC from my variac and some light knocking on it to wake it up... it isn't a bad idea to put a 6 or 12V turnsignal bulb in series as a current limiter during the AC wakeup cycle...it can also serve as an indicator if it started working.
OK, Thanks, will give that a try as well.

I've pretty much recapped this whole radio except for 3 capacitors, C12,C13, C16 and C12 and C13 are a part of the vibrator circuit but not sure what their purpose is in the vibrator circuit, they are "in series" with L2 which is the "A" Choke, and C16 is apart of the output tube socket circuit (I think its a cathode bypass cap) and its a .003 MFD Cap and I unfortunately didn't order one because I thought I had one laying around in my cap stash but I didn't.

C12 and C13 are kind of funky caps in that one side of the caps are crimped and soldered to the chassis and the other side are attached to L2 and the Vibrator socket, but I'm not sure if those caps should be replaced and if so how to go about replacing them.

C16 on the other hand I was wondering how critical the value of that part is because I do have some .001 MFD caps which if I could put one of those in that spot I might do that instead until I can make another order.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 04-21-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well a little update on the vibrator, unfortunately I think this vibrator is toast, I tried powering it up with a Variac in order to put 6 VAC on it, and its not doing anything, I even tried putting 24 VAC on it like Electronic M suggested and it just won't do anyrhing, and the weird thing is that there isn't any corrosion on the contacts (yes I did open it up) just a lot of carbon dust from the contacts arcing against each over the years but no corrosion.

I may have to get another vibrator online over on ebay, unless someone on here has a 6V Positive Ground 6-pin Vibrator they could donate to the cause.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Would this Vibrator Work in my radio?

See Link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MAL...QAAOSwBnVW-cOt
Old 04-21-2021, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bump!

Anyone here have any information for my latest issues?
Audiokarma
Old 04-21-2021, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Bump!

Anyone here have any information for my latest issues?
I don't think that is the right vibrator, and here's why I think that;

The Ebay Vibrator has it's two fat pins opposite of each other, and the not too well drawn schematic on Nostalgia Air looks like the two fat pins are right next to each other. If I am correct, the Ebay vibrator won't fit into your radio's socket.....
Old 04-22-2021, 03:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I don't think that is the right vibrator, and here's why I think that;

The Ebay Vibrator has it's two fat pins opposite of each other, and the not too well drawn schematic on Nostalgia Air looks like the two fat pins are right next to each other. If I am correct, the Ebay vibrator won't fit into your radio's socket.....
I figured as much but had to check, they didn't have too much in the way of old 6V 6 Pin vibrators on ebay unfortunately, and the Solid State replacements over at AES are 4 pin units which means they wouldn't work either, so its looking like I may not be able to successfully resurrect this radio, especially if I can't find the correct replacement vibrator for this radio...
Old 04-22-2021, 10:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I figured as much but had to check, they didn't have too much in the way of old 6V 6 Pin vibrators on ebay unfortunately, and the Solid State replacements over at AES are 4 pin units which means they wouldn't work either, so its looking like I may not be able to successfully resurrect this radio, especially if I can't find the correct replacement vibrator for this radio...
You can use the solid state vibrator but you have to change the socket to a four pin and wire in two diodes for rectification.
I did that for a 1940 Cadillac radio which originally used a synchronous vibrator.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
You can use the solid state vibrator but you have to change the socket to a four pin and wire in two diodes for rectification.
I did that for a 1940 Cadillac radio which originally used a synchronous vibrator.
Ok, I'll give that a try.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

If it were mine to do, this is how I'd do it;

I would not change the radio to adapt a different vibrator, I'd adapt the different vibrator to work with the radio's original socket. The Ebay vibrator is electrically what you need, it's just got the wrong pin configuration. It would be a simple matter to use the original base with it's pins from your dead vibrator to build a home made adapter to make the Ebay vibrator work. With the nostalgia air schematic you've already got the electrical pinout of your original. Somewhere out here in internetland there's gotta be a datasheet where you can get the pinout of the Ebay vibrator. Solder six wires to the new vibrator's pins, connect them in the proper order to the six pins of your original vibrator's base, epoxy it into a small piece of PVC pipe for sturdiness, and run it....
Audiokarma
Old 04-22-2021, 04:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
If it were mine to do, this is how I'd do it;

I would not change the radio to adapt a different vibrator, I'd adapt the different vibrator to work with the radio's original socket. The Ebay vibrator is electrically what you need, it's just got the wrong pin configuration. It would be a simple matter to use the original base with it's pins from your dead vibrator to build a home made adapter to make the Ebay vibrator work. With the nostalgia air schematic you've already got the electrical pinout of your original. Somewhere out here in internetland there's gotta be a datasheet where you can get the pinout of the Ebay vibrator. Solder six wires to the new vibrator's pins, connect them in the proper order to the six pins of your original vibrator's base, epoxy it into a small piece of PVC pipe for sturdiness, and run it....
I might give that a try as well.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

A little update:

I found two listings on ebay from the same person that has the correct type of vibrator for sale that I need for my radio!

The Radiart Type 5411 Vibrator.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29405504020...oAAOSwvlVgR~7m

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29405497859...YAAOSwpKJgR~HE
Old 04-23-2021, 10:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

UPDATE: I managed to snag one of those Radiart type 5411 Vibrators that I posted the links to in the previous post.

They should be here by next week hopefully.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
UPDATE: I managed to snag one of those Radiart type 5411 Vibrators that I posted the links to in the previous post.

They should be here by next week hopefully.
That is awesome news! I'm happy to hear that you won't have to try to kludge something in....
Old 04-25-2021, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
That is awesome news! I'm happy to hear that you won't have to try to kludge something in....
Thanks! Yes, I too am happy I won't have to modify this radio at all to make it work hopefully.
Audiokarma