Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Stuck in the past!

Buying another 1979 Lincoln Mark V tomorrow

A couple years ago, I sold my 76 Mark IV, 79 collectors series, and 78 mark v. Regretted it ever since. Tomorrow, I pick up a 79 Mark V Givenchy designer series.
pics coming soon.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice!
Old 12-13-2015, 01:23 PM
M is for Memory

Excellent! I love my '78 Mark V. They are one of the better combos of comfort, power, and style that could be had in the 70's. My folks were suggesting to me that when I have a job I should sell mine and go for one of the older collector cars I wanted more (but could not afford) back when I bought the Mark, but honestly even when I get other classic cars I'm keeping my Lincoln....I know I'll miss it too much to not soon get another if I ever sell it.

When you get a chance post some pictures of that land yacht.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Lincolns have a "Thing" about themselves, don't they ?!?
Old 12-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Very nice Pac
Audiokarma
Old 12-13-2015, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I love these cars. I also love how you can tell how long it has been parked by how much vacuum has leaked out of the headlight doors as they slowly open.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Not sure how I got here.

When I first saw the title, I thought EM was tired of tvs and wanted to fill all the
empty space in his parents driveway with has own fleet of Dry Bulk Carriers......
Lotsa a trees to tie your mooring lines to along that canal......
room for what ...? 5 ?

Last edited by Username1; 12-13-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:49 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
When I first saw the title, I thought EM was tired of tvs and wanted to fill all the
empty space in his parents driveway with has own fleet of Dry Bulk Carriers......
Lotsa a trees to tie your mooring lines to along that canal......
room for what ...? 5 ?

If you want to see a REAL Lincoln boat google image search for the 1979 Bill Blass designer edition Mark V....I live near a lake big enough to have it's own yacht club and when I had trouble getting in contact with the seller of my car to finish the deal I almost went for one of those...Just to drive it past there and see if anyone would make me a crazy offer.

If getting out cars not in the layer along the street, and being able to open all doors of a car are unimportant then I'd recon (not counting inside the 2 car garage, or the 2-3 car gravel patch next to the end which is returning to grass from disuse) at least 7 cars would fit (more if all were modern compacts/coupes/smallish cars). Can probably park 3 wide in the wide part near the garage if squeezed in and the rest of the driveway is at least 2 cars long by 2 wide. We've never had a large get together to test it's capacity....

Though honestly it don't work well with just the three we've got.....Mom parks next to me and dad parks me in from behind me ALL the time....There is a running joke/threat from me that his car will one day move through the power of a 460CID Ford V8. Dad hates to park farther back....He is too damn lazy to walk an extra 25', and when he does do it the birds crap ALL over his car (thus why I don't park there...they are bad enough when they don't have a tree to sit in all day and crap from)....Ungrateful little avian bastards, and we keep then from starving all winter too! :grr: .....I don't know why he cares though, since the parking garage where he soon will no longer work is often just as bad....Some days his gray Accord is nearly white (with black specks)! ....Also I side swiped him in that spot in the driveway once...Twas rainy, and between a bit of water lube and the soft plastic rub strips being the point of contact it did not leave a mark on either car.

Mom is VERY anal about appearances, and only wants me to have one car in the driveway....That is until college ended and getting me work started looming on the horizon...Now I can have 2 but the second must be a new-ish one that she "Gets to choose!"....Unless they buy it for me I will allow them nearly zero input (it's my money only I have the right to choose how I spend it).

One of those trees is directly behind my car in the spot where the bottle neck shrinks, and we have to always be wary of it....It has marks from previous owners that were not so vigilant.

To get back on Mark V related topics one modification to the body work that I think would look really cool is rear fender skirts.... For them to look right the chrome that wraps around the rear wheel wells would have to be cut off and additional rub-strip type trim found to go on the skirts to bridge the the wheel well.....If you wanted to go all out and make it semi-non-reversible, it would look even better if the fender flare (stamped into the metal) around the wheel well were sliced off/flattened out of existence. This idea came to me when I saw the car through the house window with a window pillar blocking the rear wheel from view....It has a classy 40's-60's luxury car look and yet at the same time also futuristic....

Old 12-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Not sure how I got here.

1979 Bill Blass designer edition Mark V Yah ~ That beast be the ultimate
white boy pimp package ! And the xxxx/A version of the DMV registration form
with the extra line for the full factory title..... They don't make 'em like that no more,
will never be made again, and ya gotta wonder why they made 'em in the first place...
A great time for cars the '70's were......

Just you wait till you get kids and they get to drive. If there are still cars around you'll
sure question what and how they found the thing they decide to crawl into for a trip
to school or work..... I bet your parents would love to set you up with something
that has a "H" on the hood ! I know I'm that way now.... Our kid had one first,
then went on to kill 3 other cars, now I don't even wanna know what she's driving....

I was the same about bird poop on my rides back then, now they are rusty I don't
care much about cars, and I feed the Birds & Squirrels all year & double up in
the winter.... I like looking at nature more than cars nowadays....

Parking at our house when I was a kid was creative, snake single path past the side
of the house - behind was 3 wide 3 deep big square. 3 cars had it easy, the others
were always in a holding pattern....

Someday that giant beast you drive will make a great birdie condo, water-slide and
feeder.... Put it right out between the second and third tree on the right and let
the birdies set up house....... Plant some flowers around it....

Old 12-14-2015, 08:10 PM
M is for Memory

I've always liked the 78' Blass edition....If your car/land yacht is as big as a boat why not give it a paint job fit for a yacht?...

If someone had not taken out our blue '02 CRV by rear-ending it on I-94 back in 2010-12 my folks would have given it to me as my first car....They were about ready to upgrade when it was totaled. Folks would like me to have a Honda, and honestly I liked that 02' CRV...Drank gas like a small car, was a surprisingly agile performer, and could swallow a big console (at the expense of some or all rear seating) with grace....

I don't hate the birds*, but it seems they make a game of pooping in the stuff you least want them to. *Except for the (wood)peckers, when they start LOUDLY drilling a hole in my bedroom dormer siding (that I'll have to go up and on a tipsy scary ladder to plug and repaint) at the crack of dawn when I'm trying to string together 4-6 hours of sleep after staying up late to study for an exam, well....I kinda start wanting to camp out with a BB gun in wait for them.

I plan to make my car nice and keep it in good enough shape that in 25 years it will be seen that same way that folks tooling around in 59' Cadillacs are seen today....It will never be a bird habitat as long as I own it.

Audiokarma
Old 12-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Well then if you expect to be driving it in 25 years you better garage it now...
I use to think that about my Rustangs, but they were keen on following their
namesake (given) and are dust now.... Garaged ones sell today for $50K, I don't
see me ever being high enough to write that check...... Wonder what a car as nice as
yours will be at in 25 years time......

I think the birds waking you up is nature's alarm clock, they're just letting
you know it's beautiful out and that your burning daylight.....

Woodpeckers here have found me a few bad pieces of siding - so I'm not mad at them.
I really use to wonder why they pooped on the car so much. Turns out, when I was
the person who parked close to my work entrance there were wires overhead. Later
on when I wanted to park away from people and save the side of the car from dents,
the poop stayed where it always was.... And the dents from doors stopped too.

I have been thinking of selling the '86 Prelude and possibly getting an Accord wagon
or a first gen CR-V, I liked those and the second gen as second choice. They were not
so big that a 2.2L 4 got them 23+ highway. Although I did the floor in the '86 this
past summer, there are other spots that need fixing and the rack leaks pretty
good... I think it's the rack.....

It would be nice having a car just a little bigger than the Prelude, But it is really really
fun to drive....

Good luck keeping that car for 25 years.... It will require work & planning....

Old 12-15-2015, 09:40 AM
Stuck in the past!

It's home
drove it most of the day yesterday and didn't get home till around 7:30. Amazingly, the lights are still closed after 14 hours.

Last edited by pac.attack76; 07-14-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:56 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
It's home
drove it most of the day yesterday and didn't get home till around 7:30. Amazingly, the lights are still closed after 14 hours.
That is a nice one! I love those turbine rims....If you ever want to trade them for one of the 2 different sets of factory correct rims/caps my Mark V has let me know.

Squirrel Boy, I know what you mean about Preludes being fun....A friend of mine used to have a last gen one, and he LOVED to push that thing. I'm not too fond of small cars especially Hondas for crash durability though...I've seen first hand how little it took to ruin the front of his car.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello fellow Lincoln owners !

I've included shots of my 67 that I owned back when it was a youngster , less than 20 years old , and the one I own today , a 2003 Town Car Signature Series "Cape & Islands Edition" . The 03 has been mine since new and just last week turned 100K miles . It's got the 4.6 OHC engine and is pretty darned quick for a luxury liner . I cling to it because it is the last of the "Panther platform" , the final evolution of the town car line . It's sure great to see you younger folks taking an interest in these cars the way my generation went for the 40s and 50s cars back in the 60s and 70s . The love of a giant floaty luxury liner comfortable as your living room couch is lost on some , but us "car guys" know where the real ride lives , right under the Lincoln badge !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1967 Lincoln 1.jpg (57.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 Lincoln 2.jpg (59.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2003 #1.jpg (64.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2003 #2.jpg (66.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2003 #3.jpg (62.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Stuck in the past!

I turn 40 next month. I've been interested in these ever since my dad had his 77 in 88. I was around 12 then. This is my 4th car. Had a 78, a 79 and a 76. I like the 60's cars as well but no expirience with them. Anything before 1980. The mark VI is just too dam small for me.
Audiokarma