Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Couple of brilliant 50s films on PYE cameras!!!

G'day all.

I've lately been browsing the East Anglican Film Archive site http://www.eafa.org.uk and have found a couple of brilliant films on PYE cameras:

An Eye to the Future 1952
http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/733
(This one details on the PYE MK1 photicon camera including the construction of the photicon tube)

The Cambridge Story 1957
http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/734
(This one features a range of PYE products and goes into excellent detail on their range of industrial vidicon cameras put into action which includes off the monitor screen shots!)
Old 05-30-2012, 05:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

i like watching old educational films like that, oh yaeh they drive on the wrong side of road to ha ha
Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

If it's 1952, they should have abandoned this pickup tube? (and the BBC would still buy these Photicon?)

Last edited by NewVista; 05-30-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

England were still using and making Iconoscope and Orthicon type tubes right into the late 1950s, PYE kept on improving the Iconoscope tube making the Photicon in the late 40s and Pesticon in the early 50s, EMI improved on the Orthicon design renaming it the CPS Emitron and made CPS emitrons well into the late 50s and produced the Type 10678 camera in 1956. From what I can see, during the earlier to mid part of the 50s EMI and PYE (with the exception of the MK3) pressed on with those older tube types whereas Marconi was the main British brand to adopt the Image Orthicon when they started producing cameras in 1948.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like the way Pye built tube from scratch & stretched development investment into 1950s.
No specs available but maybe more pleasing, smoother picture than IO? w/o halo artifact. (like Iconoscope camera Japanese man scratch built)
Audiokarma
Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 AM
a- v- karma member

Thanks for the interesting links. The name of the site is East Anglian Film Archive,
not Anglican, by the way. Regards.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroking View Post
Thanks for the interesting links. The name of the site is East Anglian Film Archive,
not Anglican, by the way. Regards.
Haha sorry, I have a bad habit of reading part of a word and my brain automatically registers a familiar word hence "Anglican" instead of "Anglian" lol. A classic incident of this I have to mention is one time I went to a kebab shop to get an Iskender kebab and because I never heard of it before on quick glance my brain quickly picked up the first and last syllable of the word "Iskender" and registered as "Islander" so I said to the attendant "Hey I would like an islander kebab" and my friend corrected me saying "It's an iskender not islander", haha lol. Anyhow it was one yummy kebab, love it!