Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Cosmetic Restoration on a Portable Record Player

Hi all,

In an effort to wrap up what's probably my longest running project, I'm looking to complete the cosmetic restoration on my 1950s RCA 7-ES-6J record player. This is one of those large 4 speed models with a 3 tube amp, and boy is it beat up. I'm probably looking at replacing the grille cloth, replacing one of the knobs that got a little melted from a close call with a soldering iron (my fault, I was inexperienced when I started this), and getting the brass latch re-plated at some point.

The biggest challenge I'm facing, though, is what to do about the material covering the body. It's paper-like, with a unique pattern, and it's definitely showing its age. I don't imagine scraping off the old stuff and applying a new coating of whatever it is will be all that challenging. I figure a little contact cement of wood glue should do the trick. Problem is, I'm at a loss to identify it.

I'm thinking contact paper. I've found a company that does custom patterns, so I could potentially get mine reproduced and get it looking factory fresh again, but I'm not sure. Has anyone re-covered one of these before? I'm open to any suggestions on materials, but my primary goal is to reproduce the existing pattern using something that will be similar in appearance and feel, to mimic its appearance when new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10582870_967540556614327_5974722475846861993_o.jpg (66.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-24-2017, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some colors, patterns of Tolex and piping and glue here:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...h_tolex_piping

not affiliated,
jr
Old 10-25-2017, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Some colors, patterns of Tolex and piping and glue here:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...h_tolex_piping

not affiliated,
jr
Thanks Jr Tech!! I have an old B&K tube tester that needs this treatment. I had no idea repro tolex was available. Didn't even know what it was called!!