Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Breaking News ... Don’t Panic

Elon Musk’s alter ego and his personal Tesla roadster are now in Earh orbit .... heading to Mars!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 PM
Resident Lunatic

I've got to be honest, I fail to see the point in such an exercise. Perhaps because I found physical cosmology dreadfully boring in undergrad, but I've never gotten that excited over anything Spacex has done.

What exactly is Mr. Musk trying to prove here?
Old 02-06-2018, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I never thought I’d see a car in space! LOL. This was a test to prove out the heavy lift rocket systems, the first launch. He said instead of putting a load of concrete in the cargo area which was boring, he wanted to have a little fun with it, so he actually installed his personal Tesla (not to mention his company manufactures Tesla’s) and now his ego will be fed in perpetuity. This thing is going to orbit the Sun and Mars for thousands of years.

The heavy lift rocket system will ultimately send humans to Mars and beyond. It’s a private company. He’s doing this because he can.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:23 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Take me with you!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2942.jpg (30.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Celt; 02-07-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
I've got to be honest, I fail to see the point in such an exercise. Perhaps because I found physical cosmology dreadfully boring in undergrad, but I've never gotten that excited over anything Spacex has done.

What exactly is Mr. Musk trying to prove here?
Basically they needed a simulated load to put in their new heavy lift rocket for testing. This new rocket allows for larger satellites, station components or trans-planetary spacecraft to be pulled out of the gravity well. Honestly if this was NASA it likely would of been a fancy lump of concrete....which is kinda boring even though it does the job.
Elon knew there was a 50/50 that this rocket on its first launch was either going to blow up on the pad or it was going to make it to space, so if it was going to make it, why not stuff something stupid inside as the test load? Why not his car?

Also SpaceX is a private company, unlike NASA which just needs to keep congress happy. Being able to not only launch the largest rocket since the Saturn V (and cost 1/10 that of the competitors rocket) AND doing so with the boss's car inside is an amazing PR stunt which also shows confidence to the investors which Elon needs for the BFR project.
To scale just how publicized this was, the youtube stream at one point had nearly two million active watchers and EVERY radio and TV station around here after the launch was talking about it.
Audiokarma
Old 02-07-2018, 01:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those pictures remind me of the Corvette in space scene in the 1970s animated movie "Heavy Metal" .....
Old 02-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Administrator

He's sending it to Mars so he'll have something to drive when he gets there.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:28 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Mars rover 2.0 complete with software glitches and needless government funding.

They needed to bring some bacon up there to become an honorary muppet (Pigs in SPACE, space, space).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-07-2018, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
They fired the third stage last night. They had doubts they were going to have the fuel or power to place it into a Mars orbit so they ran the tank to empty. It's going to fly around mars, come back past earth and then be flung out of our solar system as it uses the planet as a gravitiational slingshot.

It's going to be interesting. In two other directions you have Voyager 1 and 2 with its golden records and the hard work of some of finest science the engineers of a generation could assemble......then you go the other way and you have a sports car with a space suit in the drivers seat.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:40 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Wonder if its heavily insured in case it broadsides a UFO???

SR
Audiokarma
Old 02-08-2018, 02:14 AM
The Resident Brony

I usually think of our spacefaring technology as kind of... primitive. But I suppose it does speak something about any technology, when it has advanced far enough to be used for doing stupid shit for no reason.

And while a car in space is pretty cool (incidentally, I imagine there were loads of considerations for placing an automobile in space!), nothing yet beats NASA's levels of fuckery on mars.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
I usually think of our spacefaring technology as kind of... primitive.
OK, how would YOU do it? Be specific with practical ways, available now, to get to Earth orbit.

It's been said that no matter where you want to go in space, once you get to Earth orbit, you're halfway there. Translation: it takes a LOT of energy to get to EO. Maybe one day something will be developed to replace conventional rockets, but it still will need to overcome the tremendous energy of Earth gravity.

Once you're in space, ion thrusters are a promising technology, but they can't get you off the face of the Earth.

Quote:
But I suppose it does speak something about any technology, when it has advanced far enough to be used for doing stupid shit for no reason.
While you are entitled to like/dislike what they did, it was NOT for no reason. It has already been mentioned in the posts above, but they needed ballast, in essence, to serve as a test load. Instead of using something ordinary like a mass of concrete, they decided to have some PR fun with it. Musk owns SpaceX and Tesla, so you should be able to see why he did that, even if you don't like it.

Quote:
And while a car in space is pretty cool (incidentally, I imagine there were loads of considerations for placing an automobile in space!),
No, the chances of any other manufacturer's vehicle being used would have been slim to none. As I said, SpaceX & Tesla are owned by the same guy. Even if you don't like it, it should be plain to see the self-interest.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:06 AM
Resident Lunatic

I think this whole ridiculous exercise can be succinctly described with just a word: hubris.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
I think this whole ridiculous exercise can be succinctly described with just a word: hubris.

I can agree with that. That's what I've long thought of Elon Musk while all the media and tech bloggers were fawning over him. Their fawning and his hubris is a self-perpetuating cycle.

That being said, it will be interesting to see what applications will be in store for the heavy lift rocket. Again, this all was a design verification test, but with a whole lot of hype & hoopla, which does not typically occur. It isn't a bad thing to have the public paying attention to space and being enthused about it again, for a change. NASA sure has blown it on that front (though they're between a rock and a hard place, being beholden to Congress, which collectively does care very much about space endeavors).
Old 02-08-2018, 04:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Watching the twin boosters returning to their launch pads gave me a renewed sense of pride in American ingenuity. A tremendous engineering feat. This test paves the way for entrepreneurs to invest in space exploration and save the taxpayers the expense.

This is going to open a new era and the technology and innovations discovered will benefit us all.

The landings: https://www.inverse.com/article/4099...nding-boosters