Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

HDMI to RCA

Is there any hacks out there to get a tv signal from a cable box with hdmi to tv, to use to get a signal for my vintage tvs . Pretty much a hack from hdmi to cable wire.

Last edited by timmy; 03-05-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:11 PM
Administrator

You can use one of these, I plugged a Firestick directly into it and it worked fine, you need to use the external power supply for the FS though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-05-2020, 07:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was looking at the same thing on eBay but if I get a pig tail hdmi plug that has 2 inputs I could use that and then the RCA plugs to RF modulator with that box you have then to cable to the antenna transformer then to the set, I think I got that right ?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I kind of got it backwards because the box converts hdmi to RCA outputs but I need to convert RCA outputs to a cable output to attach to my cable system for my 7 tvs which I already have a signal booster for just the one signal for all 7 sets. But the RF modulator converts cable input to RCA output so I can't use that with this box.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:41 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
Well I kind of got it backwards because the box converts hdmi to RCA outputs but I need to convert RCA outputs to a cable output to attach to my cable system for my 7 tvs which I already have a signal booster for just the one signal for all 7 sets. But the RF modulator converts cable input to RCA output so I can't use that with this box.
An RF modulator converts the RCA composite input ( and audio) to RF, which is what you need for cabling to your TV antenna inputs. If your problem is that the RF output spigot is the wrong type of connector, all you need is a physical adaptor for whatever connector that is to whatever connector your cabling requires.
Audiokarma
Old 03-06-2020, 04:09 AM
Administrator

I plugged the RCA outputs from the HDMI converter in to an Agile Modulator and transmitted it around the house, it worked great.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:19 AM
M is for Memory

There are devices that take HDMI and convert directly to analog RF ch3 or 4...If your only video sources are HDMI that will work fine and be less complicated, but it isn't necessarily best if you also have older analog video sources.

If you have say a cable box with only HDMI and a say a Laserdisc player with only composite video out what I would do is plug the HDMI from the cable box into the HDMI to composite converter box then take the output from that and the box and plug it into input 1 of a composite Audio/video switihand plug the LaserDisc player into input 2 of the switch then take the composite AV output of the switch and connect it to an RF modulator and then feed the RF from the modulator to your TVs.

If you are only running wired RF one of your analog devices is a VCR, and you know your VCR well you can use the VCRs own internal RF modulator and video switch to reduce the number of boxes... every VCR that can play a tape via RF (99% of VCRs) can take a composite Audio/Video input and modulate it to RF...to do it first play a tape and hit stop that will activate the modulator, then switch the modulators input to the internal tuner of the VCR, then you have to select the VCRs composite A/V input. On 90s and newer decks AV input is typically accessed by tuning below CH2 or above the highest channel (some VCRs have 2-3 AV inputs on adjacent 'channels'), but many 80s decks has a slide switch on the front...when the RF modulator on your VCR is on (there will be a light that says "VCR" indicating that) and you have the VCR 'tuned' to it's AV input it will act exactly the same as a stand alone RF modulator...

If you think this is complicated you should see my main home video rack: CED/selectavision, LaserDisc, DVD/HD-DVD, Blu-ray, Umatic, SuperBetamax, 2 S-VHS decks, a DVDrecorder/VHS, a DVDrecorder/DVR, 2 cable boxes, a DTV converter, and a PC with an older graphics card that does composite video... everything that can record can record from anything else(via composite or S-video), and every device is able to be transmitted to any TV on my property via 3 BT agile modulators (granted some lesser used devices can't be watched while some high use devices are playing or recording something else)....there is enough wire in that rack to lift a freight car.
My secondary rack is a similar rogues gallery of classic videogame consoles.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-07-2020, 02:54 AM
The Resident Brony

Old vcr with av input ftw.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:00 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Y U trollin me bra?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-09-2020, 10:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
I haven't had the chance to compare them, but has anyone compared the signal quality of a VCR modulator to a $10 stand alone Amazon mod?

John
Audiokarma
Old 03-09-2020, 03:19 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
I haven't had the chance to compare them, but has anyone compared the signal quality of a VCR modulator to a $10 stand alone Amazon mod?

John
I'd expect no noticeable difference.